Am I a good guitar player?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by grritz, May 27, 2020.

1. grritz

grritz Supporting Member

Granted, I saw this topic on another site. But I trust the wisdom of TGPers more. so, here's my question: How do I know I'm a "good" guitar player? How do I tell? Am I just another guitar-player wannabe? Am I average? Or am I better than that? Intermediate? Advanced? How do I know? And...if I just really enjoy playing, well, does it matter?

Adding clip here, per requests from some. Have at it...and thanks!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Nevets, EarleG and shadowbox like this.
  2. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

A good player knows how to play good.

When playing at the playground as a child, did you ever ask yourself whether or not you were a good player? No, you just were having fun and not even thinking about it. It's not very different with playing music if you actually play it for fun.

Being a good musician, that's a whole different question. But is it important for you to know whether or not you're a good musician? In most cases where people ask themselves that question, it's probably more important whether or not other people think they're a good musician.

Bottom line: have fun.

3. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

Who cares? If you enjoy yourself, and play for fun, that's enough. If you're a pro, then your track record will attest to your level. In any case, have fun playing, and stretch your goals until the impossible becomes hard, and the hard becomes feasible. Cheers.

mikebat, Abram4235, Golem and 14 others like this.
  4. Capador

Capador Member

The terms are subjective and relative, so it's hard to put a label on something that sticks in all circles. There are many people that say Hendrix wasn't good. With that knowledge, I think the only gauge that matters is yourself. If you feel you aren't good, then you should improve, if you are happy with what you do, then stay that way because you'll never please everyone.

Unfortunately, I think it does matter depending on what you want to do (i.e. successful session or instagram player), but that goes back to having your own gauge and knowing how to adjust.

5. middy

middy Member

When you play with other people and they tell you that you are good, that’s how you know that you’re good, at least as far as those people are concerned. Someone else might think you suck.

Abram4235 and kmanick like this.
  6. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

....but a GREAT player knows when to play and when to not play, and what to play without trampling on the other musicians.

7. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Paul Baloche (LeadWorship) has some great training videos about how to play with others in a band. He goes into detail about playing in different registers, when to play and when not to play, all kinds of really great stuff. It might not make you a "better musician" but it will help your entire band mesh together better.

These are intended for P&W teams but they are a great resource for any band: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1CuH2wINIakJazrLU8__M2anwjqaB0tm

ewatkins, Solo996, strat62 and 2 others like this.
  8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

How much does your face twist up when you play? If little to none then you probably aren’t any good.

9. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

You respecting your playing:
    Do you have goals? Are you meeting them? Can you play the stuff you want to play?
    Others respecting your playing:
    Can you engage other musicians when you play? Can you play with other people - at all? Where you understand how to listen to them and find your spot?
    Can you entertain folks with your playing? Can you play songs end to end? Could you play an open mic? Could you support friends singing on the beach or camping?

Figure out what criteria you’d use to just your playing on your own and with others.

Json and Lucidology like this.
  10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

We are all good guitar players.

11. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

Post a video of your playing and we will let you know if it's time to switch to the tambourine.
    :console

12. Gig Young

Gig Young ¡An Advocate for Advocacy! Gold Supporting Member

Do you absolutely love to play and are challenged and excited by new stuff?

If yes, you're a good player.

ZMoney, flume, Lt Dak and 1 other person like this.
  13. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

Until someone else hears me, I'm fabulous.

Abram4235, amstrtatnut, TL;DR and 2 others like this.
  14. talonmm

talonmm Member

Wow, this could be really helpful to me and many others! THANKS for the link!!!!

shredmiyagi and JCW308 like this.
  15. Ogre

Ogre Member

Most amateurs think they are better than they are. Most pros see room for improvement. In my experience.

16. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why settle for being a good guitar player when you can aim to be a good musician who plays guitar?

17. Machew

Machew Member

Are you willing to sit in with a bunch of other musicians and can you keep up? Answer yes to this and you are golden Ponyboy.

I personally would answer no to this. I do have spirts of goodness but thats about it. To a novice I can appear good. But the above would be the only way I would consider myself "good".

ZMoney, donnievaz and Cgkindler like this.
  18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

That's a totally subjective thing. It really comes down to individual taste and opinion. Objectively, you can classify guitarists according to what they know and what they can play, but some of the greatest and most influential guitarists ever know next to nothing and have a very limited skill set.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Abram4235 and MrKite89 like this.
  19. naveed211

naveed211 Member

That depends on you and your goals.

There’s no objective measure. Being good is relative to what style you’re trying to play, whether you’re playing nursery rhymes or jazz fusion. If you can play something well with good technique, that takes skill.

If you can cleanly play the stuff that you want to play, whatever kind of music that may be, whether it’s a cover song or an original, you’re good.

East Texas likes this.
  20. grritz

grritz Supporting Member

Nowhere near ready to do that yet...I'm my own worst critic! Perhaps some day soon...