Am I a good guitar player?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by grritz, May 27, 2020.

1. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I think the question should be Why do you play guitar? If you play to have fun, the idea of "good" is different than if you are doing it to earn a living. Personally, I've been playing for over 50 years. I've always loved playing and really didn't try and make a living from it. It turned out to be a great way to meet people.

VintagePlayerStrat likes this.
  2. lastPanda

lastPanda Member

What is your guitar and amp? ;)

Abram4235, homeunit and Suave Eddie like this.
  3. the_cells

the_cells Member

Nice topic, something I’ve often thought about. By definition we’re all most likely average. You can also look at the “best” and work your way down depending on your focus - can you learn songs as quickly as a Nashville session guy, can you write as incredibly and prolifically as say Bob Dylan, etc.

Since good is a relative term I think it all boils down to can you do things that others can/can’t, although determining success/failure can present its own problems - sure I can play Puple Haze, but not as well as some other folks of YouTube (I know I can’t play it as well as Jimi, or write it for that matter!).

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

You can make a profession out of it. Have fun playing with people. Entertain friends. Or, you can use it to loosen up your fingers. Let the hobby/interest take your mind,(far away). You can do all this the first month or the 19th year. I have almost as much fun now, 50+ years of playing/futzing, than I did at the beginning. Are you good? If you can do one of the items I listed above, your good enough.

Abram4235 likes this.
  5. crosse79

crosse79 Member

or the bass..... *hides*

6. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

Are you better than bad?

VintagePlayerStrat and Lt Dak like this.
  7. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Supporting Member

I've never given it a second thought. I'm better than a lot of people, nowhere near as good as a whole bunch of others, and no matter how good I get, it will always be that way.

8. ScorchedCortex

ScorchedCortex Member

- Can you learn whole songs and play them with confidence and minimal mistakes?

- Do you know what key you are playing in and it's corresponding chords?

- Do you appreciate playing rhythm guitar as well as lead?

- Can you hold your own in a live band setting (not just bedroom or youtube jamming)?

Just a few benchmarking suggestions. Totally subjective.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  9. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

10. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

Can you win a guitar dual against the Devils henchmen (who looks suspiciously like Steve Vai) and win back the soul of an old harmonica player who sold it at the crossroads decades ago and recently met you and at first just used you to escape a nursing home, but eventually became a true friend and mentor?

11. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I own good guitars, so that makes me a good guitar player.

I'll run rings around you logically.

12. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

If you like what you're playing and nobody physically removes you from the instrument/stage/band, I think your a good player. My biggest annoyance is people who treat music like it's a sport and there is some world leaderboard, music is a deeply personal and emotional part of culture and it is very subjective. Just because I don't understand something doesn't make it "bad" and just because a player is out of tune a or hits some "bum notes" doesn't mean I can't appreciate what they are going for. Miles Davis (and others I'm sure) said something like "there's no such thing as a bad line, the one after it fixes the one before it".... bee yourself!

Cgkindler likes this.
  13. -sku-

-sku- Member

Dunning Kruger. Everyone will suck hard before even being aware how much they suck. The better you get the better you can objectively assess your skill level. The fun starts when your senses get better than your current skill level and you are left frustrated that you don't sound as good as you'd want to.

14. -sku-

-sku- Member

Also the biggest problems that bad players have are bad or no vibrato, out of tune bends and poor player's intonation in general. These separate good players from bad players. So, if you lack in any of those areas, chances are you are not a very good player.

Arcadia and jjtree like this.
  15. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I've always considered my ex-guitar teacher an amazing guitar player because he had just about every song ever created in his head, and could play it immediately. That is an incredible talent and it's my definition of a "good" guitar player. That man could walk up to ANY situation with other musicians he'd never met, one of them could say, "Let's play Autumn Leaves in C", and he'd do it without any hesitation or clams. Everything he played always had a structure - absolutely no noodling - ever. He always said he could never play lead the way I do, but if you ask me, he is a million times better. A good guitar player (1) Always plays something purposeful that works (2) Can play with others well

16. MVrider

MVrider Member

Take this simple test . . .

Have you purchased more guitars than toothbrushes in the last ten years?

Did you have to buy a bigger house to fit all your guitars on one wall?

Can you play all the chords you know in less than 15 seconds?

Does somebody famous own a guitar JUST LIKE ONE OF YOURS????

Do you ever wonder what's up with the little black dots on those pieces of paper piano players are always looking at?

Have you spent more on picks than you've made from playing gigs?

If you answered "yes" to one or more of these questions . . .

Oh, wait. That's the guitar OWNER test.

Seriously, you're "good" if others will play with you.

You're "really good" if the others that play with you don't suck.

And if Herbie Hancock calls and says, "Be at my place tomorrow at ten . . ."

17. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

Do other people think you are a good guitar player? When people talk about you do they mention it? Do people ask you to play for them?

18. MVrider

MVrider Member

Decide what YOU mean by good.

Good enough to play one song start to finish without making the listeners wince?

Good enough to play a couple hundred songs in any of several keys?

Good enough to play with other musicians in the area?

Good enough to back up the best singer you've ever met?

Good enough to walk into any jam session and get invites to join a band? A recording session?

Good enough to make money? A living?

19. neastguy

neastguy Member

dude you have to post a clip.. and then I will be brutally honest....

Cgkindler likes this.
  20. bbsomm

bbsomm Supporting Member

I honestly think it depends. when I was 15 and starting out, I had one song in mind that I wanted to learn, that seemed hard at the time because it had bar chords and a syncopated rhythm. I thought, when I can play that, I will be as good as I need to be. It took me 3 weeks to get it down. then I had to find other goals.

Now, I don't worry about being "good" I know I can play, but I also know that I'm nowhere near as good as some others. I guess maybe the criteria for me personally would be twofold:

#1 can I stand onstage with people I consider "good musicians" and not embarrass myself completely?
    #2 If I had no other means of income beside the guitar,(performing, teaching, sessions, etc.) could I still eat and have a roof over my head?

I think if you can answer yes to both of those, you can consider yourself in the good category.