Am I a good guitar player?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by grritz, May 27, 2020.

1. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

If asked, I would say I'm better than I was and not as good as I hope to be.

My goal is to be a better musician every day.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Julio Iguana and JosephZdyrski like this.
  2. Dasein

Dasein Member

I agree fully. It's actually quite amazing how well it trains your ear. I played along with every single commercial and every single tv and movie soundtrack.... the breadth of all that music and how you develop your ear for it is just one of the best ways to learn without even seeing like you are learning.

Funny Story - My wife of 20 years knew I used to play guitar when we met, but I had retired from playing after nerve injuries in the early 90's so she never really heard me play. Well I started trying to play again in 2013 and slowly built up some ability again - but it was only recently that I started sitting around the house with my guitar in my hands watching TV like I did when I was a kid - and I started playing along to the TV and my wife couldn't believe what I was doing -- Do you know that song? How do you know how to play it..?. we've never seen this TV show before - how can you play the theme song? It blew her mind! Think of all the songs and genres you get exposed to. It's a masterclass in improve and ear training!

Scary Uncle G. and JK1965 like this.
  3. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Haha yeah I hear you. I guess when get down to it the vast majority of people in the world cannot pick up an instrument and play along to the tv whether ever heard the music or not. Could surprise some.
    Great explanation too about all the different music you’re exposed too.

4. Dasein

Dasein Member

Believe me -- now it just annoys her -- she actually wants to watch those shows and hear them, not me plocking away in the background.... but I did have my moment!

JK1965 likes this.
  5. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

6. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I thought everybody did the "play along with TV or radio" thing. I used to turn on the radio and then-GO. What ever song came on I would try to play along-figure out the key, get the chord progression and/or try to play the melody or improvise over it. It's a great way to learn to "think on your feet" and get out of your comfort zone.

7. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

8. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

.. and roasted maple necks and stainless steel frets.. haha..

WordMan likes this.
  9. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

WordMan and rickkkyrich like this.
  10. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

You’re lucky. The drummer should always be the best musician in the band, IMO

WordMan and Scary Uncle G. like this.
  11. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

Glad you liked it !
    Yes you're right about so many people recording stuff lately. Moreover this song has been extensively covered over years haha.. That's another reason people don't wanna hear another cover... :p

12. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

He was. He the most musical drummer I ever worked with. Maybe because he could also play guitar, banjo, lap steel and more besides drums. He had great feel and always played for the song. He spoiled me for all other drummers. When his job took him away from the area the band never really recovered.

13. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Well, to be fair, this is “The Gear Page” not the “play better guitar page.”;)

rickkkyrich and WordMan like this.
  14. mikebat

mikebat Member

I would pretty much agree with Wordman's assessment.

But, what I can add is you have passed the first and most important hurdle, the self consciousness that most players get playing in front of other guitar players. I have it.....but....if you want to play music, the true blessing of it is sharing the experience with others. Recordings, live, jams etc.

I have friends that are simply amazing musicians, and they still get nervous and overly self aware when they play in front of people, and especially other guitarists. No need to ask why all those famous musicians used drugs and alcohol.... social anxiety about their playing is the real reason. I don't care if you are Eric Clapton...we all feel it. We all deal with it, and we all get over it, or we stay in our basements.

So....posting a clip, you have passed the most important step, getting over yourself.

An amazing musician that hides away from the world with anxiety is worthless compared to a hobbyist that just pulls out his guitar at a party and plays a little diddy.

....so.... work on your playing. First rhythm, play along with a metronome, or for more fun, a drum loop/backing track. Record that. Listen to it. How often do you fall out of rhythm. Why? Did you space out? Concentrate. Groove with the music physically....move you head, tap your foot... enjoy being part of the music.

95% of your time is playing rhythm....learn to groove and enjoy it.

So....in fairness, here is an old clip of mine, I am on the strat...standing in the shadows...all of the guys on stage with me have extensive experience, world tours, record contracts, I am some dude that played in his basement after giving up the dream in college. After a stint in this band....I started to play a lot again, many gigs, all types of bands, recordings, even stepping up and singing lead (imagine after being in a band with that guy!)

You can do it. Practice with a metronome or loop. Meet people and play with them

WordMan and rickkkyrich like this.
  15. JK1965

JK1965 Member

Exactly! I’m from Philly area so WMMR and WYSP. I would sit for hours trying pick up bits and pieces. The songs would come back around and each time I’d figure out a little more. This in addition to using the record or cassette for specific songs I wanted to learn. It was that and the help of older more experienced players. I’d watch any band I could get in front and pick up on stuff. There was no YouTube or readily available tabs. We literally had to figure songs out by ear and I’m thankful for that now. I can easily hear now all the little things I was missing but everyone went through that. I’m thinking that more did what we did back then out of necessity. We wanted to get better and things were spelled out in a paint by numbers way. I still do it and highly recommend it to all who want to improve in all areas.

16. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

You sound like you learned to
    play songs the exact same way I did. I believe it was not having everything laid out for me that made me ultimately a better musician, as I had to figure a lot of it out for myself.

JK1965 likes this.
  17. Cross topper

Cross topper Member

You know, the whole note for note
    thing.......that’s my forte
    :p:p:p:mad::p:p:p

18. WordMan

Great point and good insights overall.

If a guitarist plays alone in their room, do they make a sound?
    ;)

19. WordMan

Hey @grritz - you asked for feedback on your playing and some folks have tried to offer some. You have started threads about fun guitar quotes since folks have been posting - any thoughts about what you are hearing about your playing?

20. Cross topper

Cross topper Member