Am I a JBL man?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by notpetrucci, Feb 24, 2009.

1. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

I play a Princeton Reverb. It's got a stock Jensen RI. I pretty much hate everything about the speaker. It's a lifeless, spike factory piece of helltrash. RCA pre's helped smooth it out some...

The tone in this clip makes me just about cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwg7oR4u8ZE

It's strangely similar to the tone at the tail end of The Shadowlands off Ryan Adams' Love Is Hell. Can anyone give me specs on that rig? I know Ryan and Neal are big Tone Tubby guys and Ryan is a Princeton cat...

Scattered midnight logic aside, I've got my Princeton, it sounds amazing through most everything I've run it through. Heritage Greenbacks were lovely, Broken in TT Alnico 12 was Heaven. Is a JBL 10 Nirvana???

If so, what model?

No extention cabs. No bastardized baffles.

-Jon

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I had a JBL 10" in my PR. It was splendid. You can hear clips on my Soundclick... anyway. I'd get a D110F, may as well do it right. E or K are alright, but nothing beats a D-series JBL.

3. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Sweet. That clip has the same six string piano thing to it that I like about the other clips.

This is getting possible!!!

Anyone else?

-Jon

4. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

5. dB

dB Member

If you're going after the Ryan Adams type tone (which is a very worthy pursuit), I wouldn't rule out cabs. He runs his Princeton thru a 2x12 Vibro King cab, and Neal uses a Super Reverb.

Listen to this Jim Campilongo clip for some great 10" Princeton tones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FA4EYr1VJ0

He and RA are my benchmarks for Princeton tone, both very different tones, but equally great.