Am I banned from TGP? Anti-GAS content

TJNies

I'm wondering how soon I will be banned from TGP. I have been on a major sell-off of equipment, and am now down to 1 acoustic and 1 electric guitar. I do have an incoming 1957 Tweed Vibrolux, but if all goes well that could mean the sale of my other amps.

If anyone had seen my sales ads, I noted that my brother's recent discovery of esphogeal cancer gave me some new perspective, but the thoughts had been brewing in my head for a while anyway.

I only play for personal enjoyment, usually only a half-hour a day (maybe a bit more). So why I needed all this stuff confuses me!

Actually I feel liberated! I'm a minimalist at heart anyway, and frankly I'm a far better acoustic player than electric.

It's been good knowing you.

Last edited:

TheClev

As seen on TV
The nice thing about having only a few pieces of gear is that you really get to know them, inside and out. The Epiphone I had when I was 16 was my main guitar for five straight years, and I don't think I can say that about any guitar since. I hope to someday scale down like you have. But today, I'm yearning to play a Les Paul, and tomorrow it may be a Tele. I'm sure glad I have both.

mark norwine

I thought I was done. Scaled back.....focused on my acoustic.....no gigs in my future.

Yesterday I bought a '65 ES-330

My point: You're not going anywhere!

TJNies

Oh, I'm not leaving, still like to read all the posts. And likely to continue contributing.

There's a remote chance of a Thorn in my far-far future. I'm getting fitted for anti-GAS goggles today.:noevil

But I think instead of thinking about equipment, I may try to actually learn to play the few items better! What a concept...

ShawnH

Hey Tom - hope all is well. I was happy to be a beneficiary of your fit of anti-GAS. I'm still loving the 69 PR.

I do know what you mean though - it's easy to get carried away. I just assembled my first partscaster - it was a lot of fun - another rabbit hole...

_______

TJNies

Hey Tom - hope all is well. I was happy to be a beneficiary of your fit of anti-GAS. I'm still loving the 69 PR.

I do know what you mean though - it's easy to get carried away. I just assembled my first partscaster - it was a lot of fun - another rabbit hole...

_______
Shawn, I was hoping you were happy with it. Almost asked about re-purchasing before the Vibrolux came along!

Know anyone who wants a VibroChamp and Redplate?:)

ShawnH

Shawn, I was hoping you were happy with it. Almost asked about re-purchasing before the Vibrolux came along!

Know anyone who wants a VibroChamp and Redplate?:)
I am very very happy with it. Wish I got to play it more often but you know how that goes. Very interested to hear how you like the Vibrolux.

______

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member
I had some sort of this similar episode, I've been playing since the early 90s and stopped, sold and forgot all the gear I had in 2005 to focus on other hobbies. All I had left was a Takamine F360 acoustic that my dad handed me down (he'd kill me anyway if I also sold that) to occasionally noodle around with.

Fast-forward to 2013, GAS came back -hard-, and since I am able to financially support the hobby again, I've always went on a buy and sell spree with gear. I've recently and finally realized that having one amp, two guitars and a few cheap but efficient collection of pedals make sense. I'd rather focus on playing and learn to make fun with what I have.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I haven't made a significant change to my gear in a year and a half.

I don't come here as often, either. Usually just to pick a fight with some troll. ;P

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
get outta here, and take that sick gear with you!
nerve of these guys!

and why don't you have a gretsch? i mean, like an orange 6120? weirdo.

TJNies

Then the GAS will not end and neither will the gear-buying.

Recovered alcoholics shouldn't hang out in bars.
Yeah, you are probably right!

No danger as long as it's a tele...
I like to think my Dano and the 57 Vibrolux are my magic combination.

I'm not doing my sell-off because I need to fund something else; I actually could have kept it all from a financial perspective. But I am innately a person who doesn't like a lot of "stuff"

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I'm kinda scaling back at the moment but I've realized that building guitars/effects/amps is just as much fun to me of a hobby as actually playing the guitar.

TJNies

im downsizing stop me im cray cray
See, it's spreading...next thing you know everyone is liquidating their equipment. Fender and Gibson announce losses, and all small luthiers declare bankruptcy!

I take no blame for this after the carnage ends.

I should receive my Vibrolux on Monday; then we'll see if I'm serious about the amp(s) following suit. And effects pedals. Did I mention those? There are only a couple in danger.

Honestly, I adore my Dano, it'll do everything I ask of it. Additional guitars were superfluous.

Trending Topics