• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Am i being scammed on eBay?

JRod4928

I think I'm being scammed...... sold a bass on ebay last week. Shipped on Saturday. Delivery was scheduled for Wednesday but UPS said the address was incorrect and went back to warehouse. I reached out to the buyer to see if they contacted UPS to arrange for delivery, and they chose to pick it up at the UPS facility on Thursday. They were happy and claimed it was for the dad. Didn't open it until today - when they opened it they said they received an Ibanez acoustic (pictures provided)......... I shipped with UPS confirmation and insurance.

What BS is this? Are they scamming me? Did someone at UPS pull a switcheroo on Wednesday after the "address was wrong"?

What can I do?

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
You could ask them for a picture of the box and label. It should look familiar. It could still be the same box and a scam. It's just more information.

JRod4928

The tracking info says it was out for delivery on Thursday (the 2nd day), then they arranged to pickup in person, but it was already on the truck and was successfully delivered to their house.

Flatfish.

The whole idea with buying/ shipping/ selling/posting guitars is asking for trouble.
I mean look at the shape of the box, it's just asking for someone to take a peek to see what guitar is in the box.
You can't exactly label the box ' shampoo' can you?
I shipped a guitar to someone after telling them it was a really bad idea, so he insured it to the hilt, luckily it arrived to him ok. I think they may take a little better care of them if they have the right stickers on the package.

M

Member 161675

That’s crazy. Good luck. I’d wanna see the package like mentioned. Did you ship it at a UPS store? What was the weight?

John Quinn

What BS is this? Are they scamming me? Did someone at UPS pull a switcheroo on Wednesday after the "address was wrong"? What can I do?
Most likely a scam. What can you do? Tell then to produce the box - it should be familiar. Also did you ship an Ibanez acoustic at the same time? Other than that - tell them that the Ibanez is not your shipment - and to take it up with UPS.

Brian N

I would bet on shenanigans on the part of the buyer. The UPS employee would have to switch the labels, and there would be a record of him printing out new labels, and to what end? If he was going to steal one, he would just steal one.

But it would be easy for the buyer to just offload an old acoustic guitar and keep the bass. I dont get why the buyer wouldnt just claim the box was full of rocks or something though. Maybe this makes it seem less suspicious and he wants you to believe that UPS mixed up the packages.

And if the address was wrong and the guy went to go pick it up at the warehouse, all the better for him because now even if you wanted to press charges, you dont even have the guy's address.

That's just what it seems like to me though. And man am I wrong about this stuff a lot. This whole situation just doesnt really add up.

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Idea: An acoustic *might* not fit (depth) in a box that an electric bass would be shipped in. UPS would have the dimensions of your original box, so you might be able to prove you couldn't have shipped the Ibanez acoustic in the box you handed over to UPS.

JRod4928

The buyer has been communicating and sending me photos of the packaging... if it was a scam on their end, they're being pretty elaborate about it..... thinking UPS might be ar fault. Not 100%

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
The buyer has been communicating and sending me photos of the packaging... if it was a scam on their end, they're being pretty elaborate about it..... thinking UPS might be ar fault. Not 100%
Is the box, etc., In their pics what you sent?

Badstrat

Gold Supporting Member
If the address was wrong, how did UPS know it was wrong and eventually deliver. Same address? Different address? Sounds like UPS stuffed up somehow. Hope you get it sorted. Sounds like your bass is in the hands of someone expecting some cheap Ibanez.

jlcogar

Silver Supporting Member
Sucks to hear. Cant people just be honest and get along ? Damn ! Most protections are on the side of the buyer and rightfully so in many regards but this kinda nonsense makes it difficult for everyone. Drives the cost up for stuff cause the seller has to factor in eating return shipping and other cost associated with a deal gone south. would think the level if thought it takes to come up with some of the scams these days could be used productively for honest benefit.

JRod4928

If the address was wrong, how did UPS know it was wrong and eventually deliver. Same address? Different address? Sounds like UPS stuffed up somehow. Hope you get it sorted. Sounds like your bass is in the hands of someone expecting some cheap Ibanez.
No the package they received was what I shipped, except somewhere enroute (or the recipient) the contents of my box was tampered with.

Badstrat

Gold Supporting Member
No the package they received was what I shipped, except somewhere enroute (or the recipient) the contents of my box was tampered with.
Oh. That’s not good then. Maybe an elaborate scam. I’d consider reporting it to the police.

mooncobra

Silver Supporting Member
I think I'm being scammed...... sold a bass on ebay last week. Shipped on Saturday. Delivery was scheduled for Wednesday but UPS said the address was incorrect and went back to warehouse. I reached out to the buyer to see if they contacted UPS to arrange for delivery, and they chose to pick it up at the UPS facility on Thursday. They were happy and claimed it was for the dad. Didn't open it until today - when they opened it they said they received an Ibanez acoustic (pictures provided)......... I shipped with UPS confirmation and insurance.

What BS is this? Are they scamming me? Did someone at UPS pull a switcheroo on Wednesday after the "address was wrong"?

What can I do?

You received payment, yes?

bluejazzoid

Silver Supporting Member
Just to eliminate this issue:

Did you print your shipping label via ebay using the buyer's verified shipping address, or did they give you an address that was different to ship to, or did you hand write (or print) the label yourself?

Trending Topics