Am I being unreasonable?

mescobar

Gold Supporting Member
I've not posted here often, but been a lurker a long time. Thought I'd ask a question before I make a decision. If this is in the wrong place I sincerely apologize.

I called a distributor of a boutique amp company asking to buy a combo shell for my amp to replace one that was very badly beaten and worn. Got an email asking me for my credit card number, a picture of said card, a picture ID, and an authorization form.

I'm not too sure sending all that in an email to anyone isn't asking to have some kind of identity theft.

Is it just me or does their request seem unreasonable?

Last edited:

-CM-

Something Clever Here
Gold Supporting Member
Something isn't right. No reputable company would ask for that stuff via email. Sending your cc# via email is not a good idea at all, and a picture of your card and ID is out of the question.

mescobar

Gold Supporting Member
That's what I figured as well. Just doesn't seem right. They did offer to invoice me via PayPal, but told me I'd have to cover the fees. None of it made me feel comfortable. Thinking about skipping it all together.

Dasein

It's a bad business practice except what he's trying to do is make sure HE doesn't get burned by a fraudster with a fake or stolen credit card. A small business of high end items can't afford to get scammed and these guys are inundated with purchase requests from all kinds of scammers so what you are seeing is his attempt to verify you are real. You are both between a rock and a hard place.

Lewguitar

Use your phone to call and speak to them.

And then ask if you can mail them a check or money order if you don't want to use a card.

2HBStrat

It doesn't make sense for THEM for them to make a potential customer jump through hoops just to buy their product. Something doesn't sound right. Why would they need all that?.....and what is an authorization form?

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Heck no.

If you've ever been a victim of identity theft, you begin to develop a 6th sense for this sort of crap.

If these guys are legit (highly doubtful), they are not going to stay in biz long with that practice.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
I've not posted here often, but been a lurker a long time. Thought I'd ask a question before I make a decision. If this is in the wrong place I sincerely apologize.

I called a distributor of a boutique amp company asking to buy a combo shell for my amp to replace one that was very badly beaten and worn. Got an email asking me for my credit card number, a picture of said card, a picture ID, and an authorization form.

I'm not too sure sending all that in an email to anyone isn't asking to have some kind of identity theft.

Is it just me or does their request seem unreasonable?
The only time I've had to do something like that was when I asked the Tokyo Hilton to send flowers to my wife's room, when I was in the US, and as I recall they had me fax the information (in 2014!). I figured, Japan is different.

In your case, sounds weird. Call the guy on the phone. Email is not secure.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
My unsolicited suggestion is this: Just send 'em a check.

This doesn't sound like an emergency situation to me. Sending a check will take a few days longer - maybe a week for the check to arrive and clear the bank after deposit. More secure for everybody, cheaper too, just takes most of a week longer.

I agree with everybody above - that's a whole lot of info to make a relatively minor purchase on a credit card. Just avoid the whole issue and send a check.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

mescobar

Gold Supporting Member
I believe the company is legit as they offer a few different boutique amp makers products. Most of which we've all played or wanted to play. I'm going to call them Monday and see if we can agree to a check or something else.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
You may want to try contacting the manufacturer directly or possibly have an independent cab maker make you an exact copy.

If it's just the tolex that's damaged you could always have your cab retolexed.

Trending Topics