Am I being Unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stanley, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Stanley

Stanley Supporting Member

I just won a Boss pedal in a US ebay auction, I live overseas.

I have just been given invoice and the guy has charged $30 for postage via airmail USPS. Yesterday I recieved a heavy old cast metal DOD pedal via USPS and the postage was $13.50. Now I dont mind paying more etc and I am not stingy but paying over double seems a bit over the top!!

I have told this guy this and in 3 emails and now he is not responding lol. I would be happy to pay over the odds to $20 etc but $30 takes the biscuit when I paid $45 to have my TC2290 shipped from US to here via seamail.

Incidently the guy labelled the boss pedal totally wrong and I got it cheaper then I think ke was expecting - maybe why the price hike?

Pesky ebay!

2. ZJD

ZJD Senior Member

3. Stanley

Cool

And I get..................$16.50!! Im sure it will actually be less then that as the DOD weighs a ton more then a boss!

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

If he went to the UPS store and purchased the box and packaging there, it could cost a bit more.... I seriously doubt it would be twice as much, though...

5. Stanley

Yeah - I think he is pissed as he labelled it wrong on ebay.

6. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Get him to ship it to a friend in the US.
    Then have your friend ship it to you.
    Might cost a little bit more than shipping direct, what $5-$6?, but you wouldn't be taking it in the shorts.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Whether or not you are being unreasonable depends on how the shipping terms were presented in the auction.

If they were clearly stated then you are being unreasonable because you should not try to negotiate stated terms after winning an auction.

If they were not listed, or left open ended to be negotiated after the bidding then you are being perfectly reasonable to question them.

8. Stanley

Yeah they were not stated otherwise I wouldnt have bothered!! I think I could easily get a Whammy pedal or a lovetone pedal shipped for this amount!

9. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I agree with fullerplast if it stated that it was $30 for shipping to begin with then you can't started feeling hard done by!!!!

As myself & freinds have received e-mails back complaining about postage by just a few pounds over what they had expected BUT they only think of shipping they don't think of packaging!!

BUT yes in your case it shouldn't cost alot to package but again I go back to the point that if it stated from the beginning that if it was $30 then you should have no arguements you either buy it & accept the shipping price or you shouldn't have bought it in the first place!!

10. Stanley

As I stated it was not specified and thus I normally always pay a reasonable (actual) amount give or take 5 bucks for maybe packing materials but 30 bucks is taking the biscuit in my opinion

11. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

Dudes,

The UPS stores where I live RAKE YOU OVER THE COALS! They can charge double what it costs if they pack it if they can - what a rip off. I won't ever have a UPS store pack up anything. I walked in with my Fuchs amp head to send back to New Jersey to have some work done, and they wanted over $100 to do it. I got a box, packed it myself, and shipped it out for under $40 insured for the full list price of the TDS 50.

Sorry about that, but if that's where he's taking it, then I wouldn't be surprised.

12. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I do ALOT of Ebay selling and for US to overseas sales - I ONLY use EMS ( global Priority ).. That is because if I use any other shipping method, Paypal will refund the buyer's payment if he CLAIMS he didnt get it ( and I cannot provide an ONLINE tracking number )..

UPS / FedEX also provide international online tracking but they are more expensive.. From me (nashville ) to Italy for instance - it's $$33.85

You dont say where you live - but that COULD be part of the increase..just a possibility

13. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

It's really rather simple. Shipping a pedal from the US to Europe is $9.50 by USPS Global Priority Mail. This is not insured and no tracking. Shipping the same pedal by USPS Global Express Mail costs $30.55, but includes insurance, tracking and delivery confirmation. For cheaper pedals I always choose the cheaper option. Expensive pedals are usually worth paying the extra dollars for insurance and tracking.
    If the seller is charging you $30 for uninsured shipping then HE is the one being unreasonable. That said, I always ask about shipping BEFORE I buy something.

Cheers,

Johan.

14. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Nope. You were screwed. Even if the seller had $30 as a flat shipping rate on the auction site, IMO he or she is obligated to spend as much of that $30 as possible to get that pedal safely to you. I bought a Big Muff from the US where the shipping was fixed at $30. I've done perhaps 3 dozen pedals deals from the states so know that $30 is more than enough to cover USPS Airmail and insurance, so I didn't bother to mention insurance or anything to the seller. After the fact I calculated it would have cost $26. Anyway, the pedal eventually arrived, late, sent via Air Letter (wtf?) post at $18.55. So the seller pocketed an extra $11.45 of my money, and let the pedal go at my risk. What, do they have impunity for that because they stated shipping was fixed at $30? Like hell they do. If you state a shipping price, then IMO you incurr a duty to ship with the maximum speed and/or security that fits within that budget. If you ship the cheapest method possible, with the object of recovering as much of the shipping budget as possible, then you are a dishonest seller and a thief of the difference.

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

What you may expect and what the seller actually does with the shipping/handling costs can be two entirely different things. Unless you work out those details ahead of time you will likely be making some wrong assumptions. Some sellers use part of that money to cover their time in packing and driving to the shipping depot. For something like an amp, packing can take a considerable amount of time to do right. These are handling costs and can be very subjective. Some sellers pay a third party to do the packing/shipping for all their sales. Some sellers go out and buy new boxes/packing materials for each shipment. There are many different approaches and reasons that people give for their shipping costs. There are costs that go beyond the actual carrier shipping cost. Yes, some will also use the shipping/handling fee to pad their profits as well.

It is the buyers responsibility to determine what is included in the shipping costs if that is a concern. Those details need to be worked out ahead of time or you will end up with threads like this one. Don't make assumptions about insurance, tracking, or carrier based on what price the seller quoted for shipping/handling. Odds are good that your assumptions will not match the sellers actions much of the time.

16. racktifier

racktifier Member

I find that most sellers overcharge for shipping. But it's normally like 3-5 dollars difference so I close an eye. It's not like you as buyer have much recourse anyway - what can you do? Complain to ebay? They'll tell you it's none of their business. Leaving negative feedback is pointless. You'll just get negative feedback in return and it's not like the seller is going to give you a refund anyway.

With reference to stanley's problem, I'd say that you should always get a quote for shipping first. and it's probably better to deal with a seller with high feedback (i.e. private businesses) since they have a reputation to maintain. In general i fancy that sellers with great feedback (1000+) wouldn't risk getting negative feedback over a shipping fee discrepancy.

17. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I had a bulk string seller a while back want to charge me $50US to ship 12 sets of electrics, when previous bulk string sellers charged me about $16 for 24 sets + picks. The guy offered to refund me what ever the difference was after being paid!:NUTS

Needless to say, I decided they weren't getting my custom.:puh

18. Stanley

Well guys I normally ask for shipping quotes etc but in this case it was a boss pedal and I previously just recieved a heavy DOD pedal for $13 delivered so I thought $20 max.

Anyhow I told the girl it was way too high and I had just paid $13 and she said the $30 was for next day delivery (which is impossible as I live on the other side of the world) anyhow she said she could ship it for $20 for standard delivery so I agreed and went with it as that was what I was willing to pay etc but I reckon it will be a $13 job. Anyhow I didnt mind paying $20 but from the girls email it was def a case of GUILTY WHOOPS!

Cheers

19. Stanley

PS - it was a Boss RV-3 but it was listed as RU-3. I think she was trying to make up on the mess-up as nobody bidded

20. MojoHand

MojoHand Supporting Member

So you think it's OK for you to pay less than the actual value of the pedal but it's wrong for her to charge more than the actual value of the shipping? You don't have any reservations about exploiting her mistake but you feel aggrieved when you think she's charged too much for shipping.