Am I crazy for wanting a Helix in addition to my Axe FX III?

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
I own the tube heads, EVH 5150III 50W EL34, a Soldano SLO 30, and a Carvin Legacy 100W and an EVH 5150III 4 x 12 cab. I got an Axe FX III to just use for the effects.

Lately I have been playing around with some of the amps in the Axe FX (I knew this would happen) and am pretty impressed (I have pretty good Adam monitors). I have also been watching videos of the Helix and am pretty impressed by that, too.

I am toying with the idea of getting a Helix and possibly selling one of the heads. It seems to me that there are some things the Helix can do better than the Fractal and visa versa.

I don't gig- just home playing and recording.

What do you think?

RevDrucifer

FWIW, I had the first run Legacy head, it was the first amp I bought with my own money when I was 15 or 16. Selling that head is one of my biggest regrets in life, never mind gear regrets. I sold it for $400 because no one cared about them at the time. No way you could find one that cheap now. :(

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I would want a Helix if I wanted a switching rig with ease of use mainly in the area of connectivity. Added bonus for "real world" effects modeling. Otherwise; I'd rather have Kemper as the second platform.

Brandon7s

It's not crazy, but if you want to get your feet wet in order to get a good feel for whether you like the Helix amp modeling then I highly recommend getting a used HX Stomp and playing around with it. You can resell them at basically just cost of shipping if you don't like it, and it fills a lot of territory that the Axe FX III doesn't, like a great little standalone headphone rig. You could do this with the full sized Helix models too, of course, but shipping them is a lot more of a pain, hence my HX Stomp recommendation.

Personally, outside of the form factor I don't think there's anything that the Helix does better than anything my FM3 does, with the exception of having a better on-device interface for making changes without a PC editor.

That said, the design philosophy behind the two ecosystems can definitely make it worth the effort of trying out hardware from the "other side". For instance, the Helix ecosystem more closely attempts to emulate the interface of real-world, physical pedals while the Fractal ecosystem will give you every possible control + the kitchen sink and let you mess with things that you'd never be able to touch on a Helix unit or on the device that is being modeled. That can be confusing and/or liberating, depending on your workflow and your preferences.

Yer Blues

I am toying of the idea of getting a Helix for gigging and keeping the amps for at home. My amps I am using for gigs keep getting lower wattage. Currently a 12 watt Princeton.... I guess I could switch the Silver Jubilee to the 5 watt setting. I mean I really was looking at a Friedman.... but at this point the Helix probably makes more sense.

AZG

If just playing at home and recording I would suggest adding Helix Native instead of the Helix hardware. I had a III and now have a FM3. I also have Helix Native along with a few other great plugins and find them really useful and fun to have available in my DAW.

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, I had the first run Legacy head, it was the first amp I bought with my own money when I was 15 or 16. Selling that head is one of my biggest regrets in life, never mind gear regrets. I sold it for $400 because no one cared about them at the time. No way you could find one that cheap now. :(
The Legacy I have is the first. I probably won't sell that.

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
I would want a Helix if I wanted a switching rig with ease of use mainly in the area of connectivity. Added bonus for "real world" effects modeling. Otherwise; I'd rather have Kemper as the second platform.
I had a Kemper and ended up selling it. It sounded great, but I didn't like the fact that you needed a different profile for different levels of gain and other different amp adjustments.

raylinds

Silver Supporting Member
All these amp modelers use the same tech anyways, the difference lies in the details and if they have the best toob amps around to model. Every toob amp sounds different, thats part of the beauty. Swapping tubes, modify amps, man its all great!

OP plays only at home so convenience and a light weight rig is not important. Keep your amps, sell ALL your amp modelers and buy a Fryette PS or UAD OX box for home playing or recording. Also have Adam monitors and trust me by saying that a 100 watt tube amp or even more sounds great at home when using the right tools to control them. Headroom is key!
A lot of sense in this post.

MusicLaw

Double Platinum Member
@raylinds, favor your indulgence! Get a Helix! You'll only know once you've had one to explore on your own terms. If you don't find it adds to your roster, trade or sell it! Also many vendors have a satisfaction guarantee return policy. Also be sure to check out the free trial of Helix Native! If you keep the Helix gear, you'll qualify for the additional discounts on Helix Native, which when On Sale, can be had for under $70 USD.