Am I crazy for wanting to build a guitar this way??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Paul Anderberg, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg Member

So, I've been having this reoccuring idea lately to get a Squier Classic Vibe Strat (either 50s or 60s, not sure yet) and slowly, over the years, replace the parts with Warmoth parts so at the end, it'll have none of the original parts (which I'll reassemble later to sell/use as a backup) and I'll have a beautiful custom made instrument (hopefully on par with Custom Shop/builder quality). I just don't have the money to buy a Strat from Danocaster/KLine/King Bee right now, but in the meantime, instead of having nothing, I can have the Squier (which I guess are pretty decent).

Is this a crazy idea? Or has anyone done this before?

2. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

That's kinda what I've been doing to my first and only, over the past year. But, I've come to adore the wood, for looks and tone.
    I'm gonna make a #2 outta my old parts, too, but sometimes I wonder which ones even deserve use. My springs were crappy, my electronics were crud, the nut was garbage, and better screws are cheap and essential. I'll probably just keep the fullsize zinc block and ping-kluson tuners, actually. Love your guitar, no matter what parts.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Just run the racks of your local stores. You'd be surprised at the hidden gems that pop up in some of the low-end Fender lines.

4. DaGlenster

DaGlenster Member

You might check out a mexican strat, decent guitar to start with and replacing the PU's & the trem block will bring it up to an american strat level. And while your saving up you'll have a very good guitar. Better resale in the end as well.
    I also have 1 Squire strat that is simply an great guitar. I use it around the house so I don't worry when the kids or dogs knock it around. Sometime there's majik in the wood.

5. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

Not a crazy idea, but selection of parts doesn't make it a custom made guitar. Dano, KLine, etc, guitars ARE custom made thus the price. You are not necessarily paying just for the parts that go into their guitars, you're paying for the experience, skill, and knowledge it takes to distinguish their guitars from other makers, and certainly the hobbyist among us. It takes a great amount of work to take a neck out of the box, or even a run of the mill guitar, to make it great. Looks are one thing. Playability and its inherent tone, which chiefly in the hands of an experienced builder can truly be acheived, sells the guitar.