am I crazy ftr-37 not loud enough???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearlovin, Oct 12, 2006.

1. gearlovin

gearlovin Silver Supporting Member

Hi guy's

I'll lke to know I'm about to gig in another bar unmicked,
    with the ftr-37 and the last time the amp was not loud enough for my lead

anyone else have this problem?:confused:

thanks

Carl

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

those amps are reputed to be incredibly loud. I cannot imagine a bar gig where an ftr-37 wouldn't be loud enough

3. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Is this a really really big bar?

If not, then either your ears or your amp should be checked.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Have you heard one? REPUTED doesn't mean anything . I find EVERYONE on this forum has a way different definition of 'loud'.. . There are many guys who think 18 watters are loud and many that play 100 watters on 1 . We all have different definitions.. THAT SAID, I haven't played one so my opinion means nothing , other than , I'm just trying to put "REPUTED" in an understandable term. Eric

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Point taken. I have heard one but haven't played one. Alot of bands play way too loud in bar situations, imho, but I 'spose that's another thread

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I sold mine, it wasn't loud enough for my band. My Vibrolux and Komet Concorde are perfect for what I do. It was barely not loud enough for the headroom that I like, same as the RSA 23 I had.

Both sounded very good, but just not quite what I needed.

7. ericb

There ya go! I've learn NOT to listen to posts where guys say amps are too loud. We all play VERY VERY different volumes and different types of music and venues. I mean this with NO disrespect for anyone ,but just 1 guy's 'too loud' is another's 'not loud enough' .. on paper.. The only way to make valid opinions when it comes to topics like that is with our ears (never our eyes)

Eric

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I have one- I love it, awesome amp- it's a very broad sound, sort of very "full range" to me- maybe the problem is you need more mids for leads- a tubescreamer (or similar) o.d., or a treble booster, might help your leads poke out frequency-wise.

9. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

What speakers are you using? Maybe more efficient speakers might get you the volume you need. I've heard/played the FTR, and the one I played was pretty loud.

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

The drummer is the volume control of the band. A too loud bass player can also mask the sound and eat up all your headroom without you even knowing what's going on.

11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

Speaker efficiency and the number of speakers could be a big limit on the overall volume.

I've heard the FTR-37 a bunch and had one here on loan for a few months. It is a great amp with a lot of personality. It is, however, about forty watts, and typically ships with a 2 x 12" speaker cab. It's also voiced for prominent mids and girthy bottom, less than shearing top end.

So if you're gigging with somebody with a Mesa or Marshall stack, or a Deliverance, or a THD Flexi, you could hit the bottom of the well in pure horsepower, or it could be a bit dark in comparison.

Is anybody singing with your group? Why can it not be miked? What are the other players using?

12. gearlovin

ok guys

I use it with the matching 2x12 open celestion blue and g12h30
    I'm the only guitar player in the band,I cannot be miked on that particular gig..it's very cool for rythm sound just that when I had my klon it don't cut in the mix.

I'm trying to get out of the 2 head setup....

thanks

Carl

13. ericb

Hey Carl, although I haven't played that amp , I own about 2 dozen amps and have lots of experience. .By listening to what you're saying it sounds like you just couldn't get enough volume for leads. That 'd make me assume that the amp was already gained out to begin with . NOTHING works in those situations, unless the amp has an FX LOOP (post preamp) where you can boost your volume, or a separate volume boost feature. Everyone on these forums always recommends all kinds of clean boosts for volume boosts, but if in the frontend of a gainy setup , it just increases overdrive, gain , saturation etc and not volume. I have a Klon, Psionic Audio preamp, ZVex Boosters down to DOD Bifet fx10 and Zoom PD1 and loads of othes and none will give volume boosts for a 1 guitar band loud enough in the FRONT END of a gained out amp. I LOVE lots of my amps but can't use them easily with my band situations as I'm the only guitarist and I don't mic either. .We play smaller places , and I already spend an hour and 1/2 on PA Setup with only micing VOX and KICK usually .

There are the following possibilities..
    1) use a reverse volume boost for your rhthm sound ... i.e. Everman pedal I own , or a volume pedal , or Klon or something cheap with volume know really low.. THEN stomp the pedal OFF for boosts... I hate doing this

2) USe a boost into the fx loop... IF NO Fx loop , you're stuck

3) USE a 2nd amp for the lead boosts... I.e. a stereo setup a/b/c box using 1 amp for main sound , and kicking in the other amp , OR A STEREO CHANNEL on a stereo amp for leads... This involves lots more gear.. I do this sometimes .

4) Buy different amp.. That has 2 channels or volume boost function for leads... The old Marshall 2501 did this perfectly . Certain ENGLS do .. Most don't .... They should

5) Play into a CLEAN (ish ) amp with pedals for boost.

That's all folks.

ERIC

14. gearlovin

thanks a lot eric you understand what I want
    My main problem I think is that I never found a pedal that sound good enough...I've hear good thins about the box of rock and the eternity
    so I might give them a try

thanks

carl

15. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

Maybe try more speakers?A 4X12 perhaps.. different speakers?... For instance Blues and vintage 30s are louder than G1225Ms would be.. I owned a FTR and it could move plenty of air plugged into my Bogner 4X12.. But like one said earlier , Frequency has a lot more to do with it than one might think....

16. ericb

huh? ????? How old are you , and where do you play and what type of music? I always need volume boosts for my soloing in my bands. They've been guitar, bass , drums, and a lead vox for about 20 years. We play modern rock music mixed with psychedelia/funk/metal/classic/punk,etc, and why wouldn't someone need a volume boost??? .. That makes no sense.. OH yea, the other guys are supposed to reduce their volume while the guitarist solos.. sure thing and no chance with modern rock and roll. .. With blues or mellow r&b I guess that works fine. I've done sound from stage for 20 years too , and when I do sound for other bands I always boost solos... NOT for my own band from stage though , so that's what we're talking about.. Guess we all have different wants and needs right?????? :)

ERIC

17. theirflowers21

theirflowers21 Member

This may be way off, but how is the volume out in the bar? Ive had some shows when I was not mic'ed and could barely hear it onstage, but in the video of the show (the camera was in the middle of the club) the volume was absolutley perfect. This was with a rsa23 and a 2x12. That may have already been adressed though. It does suck when you arent loud enough either way, or at least dont think you are. I hope it all works out soon though!

18. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I heard an ERT33 2x12 with blues a while ago......it was one LOUD amp! I would think the FTR37 would be about the same volume, depending on the speakers. If that is true, then maybe the amp is in need of a check-up.......new power tubes and/or rectifier, perhaps.

19. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I can only wish I played bars big enough where an FTR is not loud enough. I've played through about 3 of them...and they are loud. Not in obscene way, but just very big sounding with plenty of volume. One thing you may want to try doing is elevating it or tilting it up.