Am I crazy? I think I like my DD-7 more than my El Capistan.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jacknamara87, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Jacknamara87

Jacknamara87 Member

First off, I get that the El Capistan is going for something different being a tape echo emulator. I also own a Maxon ad900.

The Strymon is awesome with clean tones, the wow and flutter sounds ace and the verb useful. All sorts of cool sounds in there. DD-7 seems to sound just a little better with distortion on the analog mode though. It has a better (for my purposes) looper mode, stereo ins, reverse, a marginally smaller footprint. Of the three the DD-7 is the one which has made it on my 5 pedal practice rig at the moment.

valvestate likes this.
  2. Marrrty

Marrrty Member

The DD7 is a solid digital delay. Haven't tried the El Cap but I can t see me getting rid of my DD7

3. jackroylee

jackroylee Member

wow,I saw lots of people use DD-7 these days,and they love it.I just wonder if its analog mode sounds better than the Analogman DD-3 high cut mode?

4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

It is crazy how I find myself liking things that I should have just went with years ago before GAS got in the way.

My favorite delay is a DD20, and since it shares many of the same qualities of the DD7 it makes sense that I would dig the DD7 as well. I love the analog mode and the modulated delay rests as my favorite.

I really could use the space saving aspects of the DD7 but I do like the tape mode on the DD20 and really find the being able to use different rythmic patters with any of the modes.

5. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Not at all.

In fact, I prefer some stock BOSS pedals even to boutique ones.

6. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

This happened with my Boss RV-3 and my Strymon Brigadier.

The Boss just sounded better to my ears.

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

doesn't surprise me in the least, I'm one of the guys who didn't find the el cap very captivating

8. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

9. hanales

hanales Member

Boss wouldn't have been around all these years if they sucked. You wouldn't see their pedals on pro after pro board either. Like any long lasting company, they will have hits or misses, but there are few companies that have put out as many iconic pedals as them.

Personally I don't like them, I prefer the EHX tonal palette. But their delays in particular are excellent pedals.

Listen with your ears.

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Nothing crazy. Go with whatever works best! My CS-2 killed the FGC everytime I tried to incorporate the MP onto the board.

11. meterman

meterman Member

funny you say this b/c I was just looking at the DD7 yesterday! It looks like basically half of the DD20. I've got an El Cap (love it), and AD900 (killer) and a DD20 and I think the analog mode of the DD20 (which I think is the same as the DD7) is quite excellent. Modelled on a DM2 it's warm, smooth, nice decay, beautiful sound. Don't like the tape sim much on the DD20, too dirty. Some of the other features like presets are nice but I mainly use it for the analog mode and the looper. May have to check out the DD7....

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Stock guitar gear is designed for real world applications.

Boutique gear is designed with one person's personal Idea of good tone.

I find I tend to like stock stuff better since boutique seems to always impart a certain over-compensation to the sound.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Tone is not in the wallet...
    Boss delay imo is the leader of the pack...

14. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

LOL I am a delay junkie and have tried a dozen or so delay pedals (mxr, TC electronics, boss, modtone, zink, maxon).

The only two I've kept are the DD7 and the El Capistan. They are both really great.... the El Cap is currently on my board, but if I ever get a bigger board the boss is going on there too. It's always in my gig bag just in case I have a problem at a gig.

15. mc2

mc2 Member

I've been thru a few delays-not many, but the dd-7 has my complete respect with regards to performance and value.

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I had the DD-7 for quite a while and was able to get one before they were for sale in the U.S.. I thought it was great, although it seemed to be a little unnatural on the high end. A little. The modes were cool, but another pedal that does them all better (IMO) was the Hardwire DL-8. And it didn't have that subtly unnatural high end that I heard on the DD-7.

17. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Not crazy if you are using your ears and the Boss is the one that fits the best role at your feet. Boss does a few things really good, and their delays are at the top of this list. Ive owned many delays including 2 differenent DD3s, and while I love the El Capistan I know I could rock a DD7 anyday. Nothing wrong with loving a Boss delay pedal.

18. It's Time!

It's Time! Senior Member

Is that right the El Capistan doesn't sound good with high gain?

19. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Not from what I heard on Pete Thorn's demo vid. Sounded killer to me.

20. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

I LOVE my El Capistan. Had a DD-7 and flipped it in short order.

Bottom line: Different strokes (and delays) for different folks. That's the beauty of music. What's chaos to one could be perfection to another.