1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy?! Is it just me?! Celestion Alnico Blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Maybe it’s just me. Lately I’ve been spending all my time between my /13 FTR37 and my latest love the Fuchs ODS30SLX both of which I play exclusively through four Celestion Alnico Blues and absolutely love the tone of both. Today I decided to pull my CAA OD100SH out and do a little flame throwing. Due to the wattage I run this head through either my CAA 4x12 with several year old Greenbacks or a Mojave 4X12 loaded with early original G12H30/55hz speakers both of which sound REALLY good with the OD100! But since I had my Bruno Alnico Blue loaded 4X12 setting there with the cover off I decided to try something.

I turned the OD’s masters down to between 2 and 3 to be extra careful not to blow a Blue. And damned if it didn’t sound incredible!! It sounded ever more focused, an even sweeter, more vintage midrange and the cleans are even more amazing!! And to top it all off this was all at a VERY REASONABLE volume since I was afraid of the 100 watts going into the 60 watt cab. I mean I love Blues with a hot rod like the OD100?! Wow!

So what’s the deal?! Am I crazy? Or do Alnico Blues just make everything sound better!?!? Damn I wish they made a 25 watt Alnico Blue. I’ve owned the Weber Silver Bell Alnico 30’s and they are the closest to the Blue I’ve found to date but to these ears the Blues still have an ever so slightly sweeter tone. Man do I love Alnico Blue.

Steve

2. xray

xray Gold Supporting Member

Steve, I've got to agree with you. I use two blues with my TR Sig and its the best guitar tone I've ever had-and this is coming from a guy who used to own a 'wreck and a Dumble.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I have one Blue and I have tried it with all my lower wattage amps. Simply put......it is the best sounding speaker I've ever heard!!!!

4. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

must...resist...speaker purchase...

5. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Fred is building me a 4x12 for my FTR37 head and I plan on loading it up with Blues. I know where to get a good deal on them!!!:p
    I figured that the 4x12 would be great for our outdoor shows and the Blues are one of my fav's in our lineup. Plus it sounds really nice in my /13 2x12 paired with the G12H. I recently tried a 4ohm 4x12 cab and loved the way my FTR37 sounded through it (versus 8 or 16ohm cabs)! I will wire my new one this way as well. Much louder and very punchy. I asked Fred about this and he agreed. In fact, the old Marshall 4x12 that sits next to his work bench has been wired to 4ohms for this very reason.

:dude

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I don't understand. I thought that if you run an amp that has 16 ohms available, you are not taking full advantage of what the transformer has to offer. At 4 ohms, you are only using a percentage of the windings no? So would you recommend that if an amp had a 4,8 or 16 ohm tap available, 4 would generally sound best? This part gets so dang cornfusing to me! M.E.

7. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure, but I just like the way it sounds and Fred was with me on it.:cool:

8. johnm

johnm Guest

just to jump in real quick...
    i bought a avatar 212 from lonely raven and put
    1 blue and mesa black shadow in it driven by my
    gds 18 watter. i think it sounds great with the blue
    covering mids/highs and the shadow spankin out
    the low end...
    john

9. 73171

73171 Member

Blues are just amazing for sweet high end and mid-range chime....I've got one in my '68 Princeton Reverb...using a Boss 7-band eq just to boost the bass a little.

10. fatback

fatback Member

I wouldn't think of putting any other speaker in my '65 Deluxe reverb. The Blue sounds perfect.

11. johan

johan Member

A couple of months ago me and some friend tried a handful of amps (Dr Z, Fenders, Top Hat etc) through a 2x12" with Celestion Blues. Although some were a better match with the Blues they made every amp sound more ....VOX-like :) :eek:
    While they are not my favorite for everything I LOVE them for certain type of tones.

12. no1yuno

no1yuno Supporting Member

I've got one of Fred's 4x12 cabs loaded with Blues. it DOES sound good! I use an FTR37 with it. Mine is wired to 16 ohms.
    I personally like the "smeared" midrange characteristic of 16 versus the more "defined" sound of 4 ohms.

13. New Angel

New Angel Guest

Hi -

Regarding speakers - does this make a difference in volume?

I did a little research lately, and I believe this is the wattage for these here Celestions:

G12HT - 75w
    V30 - 60w
    G12HI - 40w
    G12HL - 35w
    G12H - 30w
    G12HM - 25w

What is the relationship of speaker watts/ohms to amp watts/ohms?

And, I'm kind of forgetting...what is BAD to do?

14. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Fretmaster........I had the same revelation a couple of years ago. Enjoy it!

:cool:

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Those are the wattages the speaker is supposed to be able to take without blowing up. You can push them a little (a maxed 100w Marshall is supposed to put out about 160w, so well over what a 412 of greenbacks is supposed to stand-it'll survive for a while). So you should have speakers that are able to take the full output of the amp, preferrably plus a bit. Either that or use John's suggestions with an attenuator to protect them.