Am I crazy to be considering replacing my Hamer Studio with a Wolfgang or EBMM Axis?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SoCalSteve, Jul 30, 2006.

1. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I never thought I'd even consider ever getting rid of my Hamer but I'm really missing having a whammy bar. The first guitar I bought had a floating trem so I started off using them - I guess you could say it's part of my style (I use the term loosely :messedup ) although I definitely prefer an against the body trem to a floating one. With the new amp/cab I bought I can't have both. Mid-life crisis? :crazy

2. TS808

TS808 Member

My thoughts, even though I never played the Wolfgang or EBM. Why not keep the Hamer and just wait until you can get another guitar? I'd hate to see you get rid of the Hamer and regret it later if you don't like the new axe. I've got rid of a few guitars that I wish I would have kept, but that GAS thing hit and you know the rest... I'm finding it's better to wait and get the other so I can play both side by side, and then decide. Just my .02.

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Not just a trem issue. unless you are also going to change pups, the sounds are going to be extremely different! Have you searched out an old Hamer mirage? If you like the quality,sound, and feel of hamers, that might be a less expensive option to get your trem. Nothing against the quality of Music Man. I'm a huge fan of a number of their guitars, Morse, Alvin Lee... I would love an alvin lee...

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Jeez I just can't imagine going from a Hamer to a Peavey. Makes me shudder. That's kinda like trading a Ferarri for a lawn tractor.

If you must do this, definitely get the Music Man but I'll agree with TS....just wait and get another guitar with a whammy. Why not something like a G&L Tribute Legacy or Invader?

5. zumaboy

zumaboy Member

Keep the Hamer, no matter what else you decide...

6. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Great input, guys. I've also had regrets selling a guitar before trying out a relacement. I wasn't even aware ot the Mirage-interesting idea. I'm toying with the idea of getting a cheap, used OLP MM1 and throwing some Seymour Duncan's in it for those dive-bomb moments although I don't know how well their non-locking trem will stay in tune.

7. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

Wolfgangs are incredible guitars, hardly a Ferarri versus a tractor. If were talking rock here, I'd take the Wolfie 100 times before the Hamer.

I own EB's, Wolfies, Charvels, etc... And the Wolfies stand up and then some.

Shawn

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I've never picked up a Peavey...anything..that made me want to play it over any Hamer, Zion, PRS, or Music Man I've ever had. To each his own I guess.

And speaking of PRS...a Custom SE might be your answer. Cheap price, great trem. Put some pickups in it and you're set.

9. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

I've had 2 of the import Wolfgangs and they were great guitars. I can imagine the USA's being even better. I loved the maple necks on 'em. We are talking rock, with my Splawn coming in 2 weeks and no clean channel.:dude

I think I'm gonna pick up something used before selling the Hamer. Looking at used Wolfies, '80's Charvel model 1's, '80's MIJ Squier, etc.

10. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

I remember taking my Musicman Stingray bass to a worker at Anderson guitars since my brother knew one of the workers and I had a battery pack issue, and a few of the techs there were impressed with the quality of the instrument.

I have never played Hamer guitars, but I have played a few EMBB guitars and basses-they always felt, looked and sounded great.

Vintage 6 screw type bridges, I hear in many forums are superior to 2 point, since they do make more contact with the body. I have a 2-point on my Fender Deluxe Amer. and it seems to stay in tune VERY well, but I wonder about how much resonance I am losing.

11. c_mac

c_mac Member

It's Albert Lee that plays EBMM both him and Alvin are great players but Albert is a country/western swing player. The Albert Lee model is without a doubt the most comfortable guitar I've ever played.

The EBMM Axis is one of the most comfortable and best playing guitars I've ever owned. Quality wise EBMM holds up against Hamer easily. The OLP doesn't really come close to a true EBMM and the trems on them are very cheap.

12. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Typin' too fast for my own good! Thanks for the correction! I do know the difference between the two gents! A red Albert Lee is one of my "dream" guitars...

14. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Well, I couldn't contain myself any longer so I picked up a Goldtop Wolfgang Special. I thought the price was fair seeing how the straps are selling used for $100 and he has all the rest of the original accessories. I've really been GASing for a goldtop. I'll probably hang on to the Hamer, it's just such a fine instrument I hate to let it go.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330013427836&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D330013427836%26fvi%3D1

15. empty71

empty71 Member