Am I crazy? Vintage Traynor, Vox, Matchless, Bad Cat content inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shark_bite, Feb 14, 2009.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

So for a while I've been feeling like I need something Voxy to round out my amp collection. It'd be particularly useful for some of the gigs I'm playing these days. Only one thing I'm starting to wonder... do I really need it?

Played a bunch of stuff the last few days. Really liked the Chinese AC15 (go figure) and the Bad Cat Cub IIR, among a few others. And I was curious about trying out some other new stuff as well. But I have this old Traynor, and I threw a JBL D130 in it a while back. Today I pulled it out and started playing through it and I feel like it's every bit as good as anything else that knocked me out, with the possible caveat that it's a litlte lacking in clean headroom. So I did some digging around and found a sound clip I did a while back just playing around - noodling at best - through a delay, trem and into the amp with a very uninspiring Tele. I wouldn't say it's a dead ringer for anything with AC in the title, and it's got a bit more of a low-mid hump to it, but it overdrives just like a Vox. I wish I had a clip of that too.

Here's the clean clip.

I guess the question is this: do I really need to be Vox-hunting in the first place? If I do decide to get one of the aforementioned amps, would you let go of the Traynor to do it? I don't see why I'd really want to keep it...

2. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Traynor has always made great amps; keep it, use it, be unique...

3. mj07

mj07 Member

If you're happy- hunt over.

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    +1. if you like the tone of the traynor, why try and find something else. there's been several times i've let gear go in search of something "better" and a lot of times i've regretted it.....

5. GarrettPSU

GarrettPSU Member

That clip sounds magnificent. Keep that Traynor. There's one for sale on my local craigslist maybe I should pick it up.

6. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

If there's one for sale, run, do not walk. I mean that. If I get rid of the Traynor, it's only going to be so I can afford the Bad Cat. Same trick, bigger pony.

7. Jason Myers

Jason Myers Member

I love my Traynor, alot! I say keep it, unless you wanna sell it to me :)

Which amp is it btw?

8. readymade

readymade Supporting Member

You could maybe try a Celestion blue or gold (not sure what the wattage is on the Traynor) to get you closer to a Vox. That clip sounds good, though.

9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

I let go of my YCV20WR........and it's the only amp I've ever sold that I wish I still had.

Keep the Traynor.

10. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I guess the fact that I'm hunting says I'm probably not happy enough, right?

It's a 1973 YBA-2B Bass Mate. 2xEL84, and the closed speaker cab with the 15" JBL. The stock Jensen was too muddy and not efficient enough, but with the JBL it really brings out the Voxy character. Probably my favorite speaker of all time - that or the JBL D120F.

Can't do a blue or a gold in 15". There really is no speaker that's perfectly appropriate for those sounds in 15" form as far as I know. The amp is ~20W.