Am I Crazy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Static111, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Static111

Static111 Member

About 4 months ago I went way out of my budget and got VOS R4. it's the best guitar I have ever owned and I said I would never think of getting rid of it. Lately it seems that I really want a relic strat...so the idea of trading keeps creeping up on me. Is this a crazy thing to do? Please help. Here's some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Nice guitar! Not at all crazy. I think there must be a strat bug going around. I just picked up a relic 56' strat myself. On a side note I have the LP thang covered and just was looking for some strat tones. Do you have any other LP's or LP style geetars??

3. Maxer

Maxer Member

Purdy guitbox. Sell it only if you're certain you won't regret doing so. But it seems to me that you're posting pics so people will respond and tell you "don't do it!"

But hey... whatever works for you. There are other goldtops in the world and they do keep their value pretty good.

4. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Considering the above quote,you would be a total loonie to sell it.

5. Static111

Static111 Member

No other LP's so if I get rid of this one I'm sure I'll be kicking myself. the only other electric I have is a chambered limited edition tele in trans red with a 52 body and hardware with a 62 rosewood neck....If it came down to it the tele would be my desert island guitar, though I have been neglecting it due to the recent les acquisition.

6. Static111

Static111 Member

7. mlongano

mlongano Member

Keep the goldtop and save up for the strat.

8. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Keep the Goldtop. Buy a new Strat and relic it naturally, with use.

9. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

"You know you are!__ bring it down. You're f-kin' crazy!" says Axl.

10. Enozo

Enozo Member

You'd be nuts to sell the R4. Come to your senses. :)

11. Number8

Number8 Member

Strats have way more tonal options. I prefer a strat to a Paul type guitar. The scale is much better.:D

12. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Save your money for the other guitar. By the time you have the money for the relic strat, you will want something else anyway and still will have the gold top without any regrets.

13. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

I'm going through the same thing right now. I bought a VOS '56 LP Gold Top about four months ago and it is an awesome guitar, but now I'm gassing for a Closet Classic Strat. I also bought a '67 SG Special Reissue a couple of months ago and I'm playing that a lot more than the LP.

14. PFCG

PFCG Member

toss it, strats are cooler.

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Best advice in the thread...

jb

16. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Strats are much more common than an R4 LP. Keep the R4 save for a Strat.
    My R4 is one of my best and most versital guitars. But then again I'm not a Strat guy.

17. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I see this all the time and it's completely wrong IMO.

They're both about the same in terms of available tones. Just because the Strat has three pickups doesn't mean it can really do more sounds - they sound more similar than the three on a LP, to me. The LP can actually sound more like a Strat than a Strat can like a LP, too - if you don't believe me, listen to Dave Gilmour's 'Strat' solo on Another Brick In The Wall.

(It's a P90 Les Paul.)

OK, a Les Paul can't do that 'quack' tone. A good thing IMO :). It's about the most clich├ęd and overused sound on any electric guitar, which is a pity because it can be nice when used occasionally.

18. motorcitychick

motorcitychick Member

I have a 56 Historic custom gold top, amongst all the other guitars I have. I do not or will not trade or sell any of my guitars. You never know when you will need that guitar. It is not worth trading it or selling it for anything. You bought that guitar because you wanted and loved it!
    Just save your money and get the strat you want. Namm is tomorrow and I am sure Fender will be coming out with more models of the strat, that you may think about getting.
    You can always replace a wife or girlfriend, but your guitar is for life. It will never let you down or give you drama or stress. It is a reflection of your soul!
    Enjoy that beautiful guitar you have and look forward to getting another one to add to your collection.
    ROCK ON!:RoCkIn:JAM:D:AOK:dude