Am I damaging my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phoenix 7, Mar 2, 2012.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

My music space is in my basement. It's cold down there this time of year, and I run a space heater when playing to keep my fingers reasonably warm. Whenever I run the heater, I hear the fan on my Shiva amp slow down. Clearly, the heater is sucking some power away from the amp. Is it possible I'm damaging the amp when the heater is on by running the amp under reduced power conditions? Thanks.

2. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I doubt it. Unless you're running a lot of things on the same circuit - you should be fine. I'd get a humidity meter down there if you can. I run a dehumidifier in my basement - which is my music room as well.

4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, I take it you're suggesting that the space heater is basically reducing the juice to my amp like a Variac would and isn't necessarily dangerous. That's kind of what I was hoping.

Having lived in Chicago for a few years before I moved to Ohio, I know what you're talking about. Luckily, the winters are quite a bit milder and more humid here. I've got a hygrometer in the basement and, even with the space heater, the humidity never dips below 33%, so I think my guitars are okay.

5. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

kinda .
    i was joking about it being a variac , but your scenario is what a variac is primarily used for .
    using a "variac" to get you warm is a good and novel idea , but getting a variac for about a ton on ebay will give you consistency no matter the weather ..

(if youre getting more than enough power to get your "tone" only in the summer on mains ac that is .
    if not , you need propane and propane accesories)