Am I facing my Eric Clapton moment?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Interceptor, May 6, 2018.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Came here to say the same. I've never been much of a Strat guy and went through my share, but once I got a Clapton model, I knew I found my keeper. The on-board boost adds a ton of versatility and is downright addictive once you learn all the nuances.

Also agree with others mentioning that something like a PRS Cu24 can live nicely on both sides of the spectrum.

stryker59 likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Chumps! You do realize, if we all had higher incomes, we would all have Gibsons, PRS, Fender, Boutique. You would have a Strat, Tele, 335,330,a few LP's, hey wouldn't you really love to drive, "A FIREBIRD"! Mod the Tele till it has some Gibby in it. OK, lets talk gold foil pickups, yadda yadda yadda. It is money kids. It would certainly affect your guitar acquisition desires.

3. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

Thought this was going be a thread about falling in love with another man's wife.

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I’ve been enjoying my new Strat for the past while, having always played Gibsons. It’s fun to get those familiar sounds and to play a guitar with such a wildly different feel and range of tones.

I have felt myself being pulled back to the LP-only world recently, though. It’s a little jarring to go back and forth from Strat to Les Paul and my playing seems better when I’m sticking to one or the other (and better overall with the LP).

One thing, it seems to me the legends choose one and generally don’t go back and forth live (studio being different, of course): Hendrix, Gibbons, Page, Clapton, Gilmour, etc.

5. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, really. I'm a strat guy, have been for 40 years. But before I had the strat, I had a 330, which I still have. I got a Charvel in the late 80s, cause I wanted a humbucker guitar. That was my 2nd guitar (cause the 330 was left at my moms house, 3000 miles away). I have experimented with humbuckers on strats, I have an HSH right now, though that is going back to SSS and being set up for slide, when I get around to it. I have an H535 cause I like the 335 sound. I have teles when I want the tele sound.

Cause I'm in a band now that is doing trad country, I'm playing a tele mostly these days. But I grab whatever guitar fits the gig or the music I am playing at the time. Sure, I've gigged country on the strat and could do it again, but the tele is easier. I've been playing a lot of blues on the h535, though I gigged blues stuff on a strat for a long time.

They are just tools, you can have more than one tool for different jobs.

6. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I feel like the opposite is happening to me. I've made peace with the fact that I have tiny baby hands and gibson scale is just easier to play. I dont mind the sound either.

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

I got my '79 335 when I was 17. It was my #1 for 30+ years. But in '93, I got the strat 'tone itch', and shopped a ton of strats until I grabbed my SRV. It didn't get much play time until a financial crisis forced the Gibson's sale. Now left with the SRV as my best remaining electric, I soon discovered I really had been better suited for a strat all along. My playing immediately inproved. Welcome to Leo Land!

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Just an observation, but.....few, if any, major players who went from Les Pauls to Strats every went back, at least not on a permanent basis....

chandra likes this.
  9. JGD5150

JGD5150 Member

I've gone back and forth so many times over the years. Finally I realized that I can just play both. My Suhr Classic Pro HSS shares time with my LP Traditional as well as my ASAT Classic. I play different things differently on each -- that is why I love having the variety.

10. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

You'll have your Clapton moment when (or if) we apotheosize you. :bow

steam boat and Merrywoodsman like this.
  11. Brutus

Brutus Member

Well, when my wife sees the Les Paul she says “THAT...is a beautiful guitar.” I’ve been on board with that opinion for 50 years or so, so no Clapton moment for me. Yet.

Angeln likes this.
  12. DS007

DS007 Member

I have come back full force to the HSS strat. For me it's the perfect guitar!

13. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

I've been going the opposite for some time, I love Gibsons now far more than ever before.

But a Strat is a great guitar, there's no question about it. Fenders are great. I'll be back I imagine.

14. Gclef

Gclef Member

I THOUGHT I was a strat guy, because I could never get along with any gibson. That was until I got a cheapo les paul copy, an esp ltd ec256.

What was this? I liked the short scale. I liked the mahogany body, the shape, everything but the pickups. How could such a thing happen? Blasphemy I tell you!

Fast forward 3 months when I get my ec401v. I now have a full thickness les paul type guitar with dimarzio 36ths in it and love it!
    Not only is It super resonant and articulate, the pickups compliment it so well.
    This has been my aha moment in guitars. It is the first guitar I pick up to play now.

Funny how a neck carve and fret size (ok, and a different manufacturer) can make all the difference.

15. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

I grew up playing a strat. I’ve played just about everything. Humbuckers are my sound. I have a superstrat that I can do just about anything on.

16. InkStained

InkStained Member

My favorite guitar right now has a 2001 American Series Double Fat Strat body, which still has the original Seymour Duncan humbuckers, mated to a Warmoth Strat one-piece maple neck, nitro satin finish. Thick yet cutting 'bucker tones, with Stratocaster comfort. It doesn't get better than that for me right now.

Mincer likes this.
  17. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

I change my mind every other week...good thing I have enough of both. I admire guys that always play the same guitar, but I'm not that guy. I'm reminded of this every time I login to my bank account!! :)

18. 5F6-A

5F6-A Member

Fender - Gibson - Fender

19. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I've always played S type guitars. In my cover band, I sometimes need a LP Type tone. For that, I pick up a very nice PRS SE 245. But, when I put it back on the rack and pick up my Silo Special, it just feels like home.

20. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

OP ... Chances are, you will only 'know' when you get a Fender Sig EC Strat ... ;) ... (Personally really liked the early Lace Sensor one I had some years ago).