Am I facing my Eric Clapton moment?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Interceptor, May 6, 2018.

1. Custom50

Custom50 Member

You're a guitar player. Eventually you will get bored and want to try something new. It's one of the unwritten rules of the universe.

2. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

I've always felt like strats are just easy and comfortable to play. I remember picking up a PRS after hearing how everything about them was designed for players, and I played it for a couple minutes and was like "Nope, still like the feel of a standard strat better (it was a cheaper model PRS and I'm not talking about sound, only feel/playability).

I like LPs and teles and someday I want a 335, but I'll always keep a strat around too.

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I say more power to ya!

...just please don't follow that honking, muffled, fuzz with a dying battery, tone knob on zero sound!!!

BlueRiff likes this.
  4. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

This sounds an awful lot like me, too. I found consolation, however, in a PRS Custom 24. Has the great humbucker sound and you can split coils, even though that doesn't deliver the quack of a Strat. I think it was Gilmour that said he thought that a Strat allowed a player to create a recognizable style and sound like no other guitar. I'm inclined to believe that, but I do love humbuckers singing through a good tube amp. I think there's a place for both configurations in all of our stables. Some tunes require the Strat, others maybe not. Your post made me chuckle. Thanks.

5. epauley

epauley Member

I own Gibsons, PRSs and Fenders. If I was forced to choose only one to keep, it would be one of my Strats.

6. shane8

shane8 Member

I prefer the ergos of S types & don't play anything that's not close to that.

with so many pickup options why not pick a platform that works for you & alter it if you must with different pickups? ....... close enough for r&r :D

Average Joe likes this.
  7. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I mostly play my two Les Pauls these days but have been a vintage style Strat player in the past. I recently got a 73 Strat with Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups that sounds amazing. ......can do sweet cleans AND killer rock tones to rival a SG. But, it desperately needs a refret to make it playable for me and I hate 60 cycle hum at gigs. So I'll keep it around for when I want the Blackmore tones but for the time being I'm very happy rockin my LP's.

8. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

As Jimmy Bruno says “they invented modal jazz so junkies could improvise...”

9. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I cannot say I ever went though that phase with my guitars. I always used Humbucker LP style guitars or ES-335 style guitars (mostly from Japan) But I get the fact of having a revelation of something working better for you. For me I realized a few years ago I like active pickups. Who would have thought they would be a great jazz guitar pickup!

10. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Les Paul from the beginning. Strats and Teles always seem to bounce off of me. Though I really love their sounds - in the hands of other guitar players.

11. Blooby

Blooby Member

Now that's a provocative band title. Even works with the emojis.

Not to derail the thread, but have you guys heard his tone in this? Great version.

ieso and m.e. like this.
  12. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

I played strats for years, and started playing a hum bucker guitar to fill out the sound a bit in a 3 piece band. Nowadays I have a Les Paul, Strat, Tele and PRS guitars. I really want an HSS Strat, and have been looking at Suhrs, cos I've wanted a Suhr for ages now. However I have a second strat which is hanging up on the wall behind me; it is routed for a bridge humbucker, and little does it know that I am plotting to convert it to HSS. MWAHAHAHAHA

13. LeicaBossNJ

LeicaBossNJ Silver Supporting Member

I understand the feeling. When I picked up a PRS Custom 24, I couldn't believe how easy it was to play.

Ruined me.

I play other stuff for variety, etc. but should probably just stick to the PRS

14. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

The problem with this conversation is that it involves strats :) real single coil bolt on neck enjoyment is only found in the lowly Telecaster. :)

Yooper likes this.
  15. Yooper

Yooper Member

Strats are great, love their sound, but don't fit me as a primary guitar. Strat necks never felt right. Always preferred LP and Semi styles. Then in the '90s I had my "Danny Gatton Moment" and fell in love with a Tele. The Strat rarely saw daylight after that.

16. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

I resemble that remark! :hide I had my Roy Buchanan moment in '72... or was it '71...

17. JayRock78

JayRock78 Member

I also wrote an album to try and steal another man's wife... lol

18. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

My first good guitar was a 1977 Tele back when no one would touch them with a barge pole. I loved everything about that guitar except that it weighed approximately 12 pounds.

I eventually traded it for a player-grade 1959 Les Paul Junior, which I played long enough to realize that perhaps bringing it to club gigs was probably not a good idea if I wanted to keep it. By that point, I had enough money to buy an LP Standard and keep the Junior.

Despite multiple hassles with the LP (lousy plastic nut, 300k pots, etc), I gigged that guitar until 2005, when I found a used Strat loaded with Kinman Woodstock pickups. As soon as I began gigging that Strat, everyone said, “That’s your sound!”

I have other guitars but I gig with a Strat about 90% of the time.

19. douglennon

douglennon Supporting Member

I started as a strat guy (because of SRV of cource), did a lot of research and tried to find the best strat for myself. One day I played a Gibson LP reissue and all of sudden became and LP guy, then did lots of research again and ended up with couple reissues and even a replica.

After all,

I am broke.

20. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

Water under the bridge update.

Much has passed: in a moment of madness, I sold my HS(mini)H Strat to get a Tele. Nothing wrong with a Tele, everyone needs one, but I immediately missed my Strat. So I acquired a Player SSS Strat. The Player Strat was ripper, great value for money, but I missed the wider nut, jumbo frets and humblaster in the bridge. So back to a US HSS Strat (now an American Performer). This time around, the pickups make more sense - its like Fender designed/selected them for a Strat (who would have thought!).

Anyway, I'm back to a rock solid US HSS Strat. I am convinced I play this guitar "better" than my Gibsons, and the compromise in higher gain tones is acceptable to me. The Strat lacks a bit of chunk offered by the Gibsons under high gain, and the Strat can't cop a flutely high gain neck humburgler tone, but again, the compromise works for me. I can still get great Strat 3/4/5 tones (2 is not as pure with the split humpotato).

Thus it appears I am increasing becoming a Strat fan.

Mattbedrock, Average Joe and 2HBStrat like this.