Am I facing my Eric Clapton moment?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Interceptor, May 6, 2018.

1. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

My first two good guitars were Gibson. A one pickup Melody Maker, and an ES335.

Eric Clapton’s note choices, phrasing, and guitar tone in John Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, and Bonnie and Delaney....very influential.
    Still a fan even when he switched to (mostly) Strats.
    Although some of the fire in his playing got lost when he went solo and sober.
    But he improved as a vocalist and songwriter, and I have to admire what a hugely successful career he’s had.

In the 80s I switched to Strats or Strat type guitars, then a Tele in the 90s.
    Then around 1997 I got a Les Paul Special, and got into the P90 sounds.
    These days...it’s back to humbuckers....an ES 339 and an SG.
    But I can still switch things up, I usually don’t unload a guitar to help buy another one...so I still have a Strat, etc.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Member

I have found the same thing but they never quite sound like an SSS pickup Strat. If you have the cash, get yourself a Fender Custom shop in your favorite flavor. You won't be sorry. You already have humbuckers and a Strat of any kind will never sound like a Gibson.

My '55 has the Cruz pickups, 6105 frets, faded. surf green, Wildwood 10. Love it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dale

Dale Member

Like many others here I have been playin about 50 years. I have gone through this cycle...

Acoustic
    Tele
    LP
    Acoustic
    Super Strat
    HH Tele phase somewhere in there
    LP
    now SG

4. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Have both, just grab the one that speaks to you on that particular day...

5. Drew66

Drew66 Member

From the title of this thread I thought this was going to be about going unplugged and playing crappy versions of great songs.

6. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Why choose? I am G type oriented but love Teles. I got a lipstick Squier Strat and enjoy it.

7. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

True that. I picked up my SG this morning and it basically played itself for me and sounded glorious.

aiq likes this.
  8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

When I started playing guitar back in the 60's, I found out pretty early on that I didn't like the sound of humbuckers no matter what guitar they were in. So I ended up with a Strat as my workhorse guitar...and finally found a Tele I liked for a nice diversion...then my Rickenbackers for jangling fun. You gotta go where the tone takes you;)!

9. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I think in Clapton's case, along with switching over to the singer songwriter route, he stopped playing "crunch rhythms". Looking back I would say that was a good decision on his part.

10. jlectka

jlectka Supporting Member

Yeah, evolution happens. I always thought I was a Les Paul/Marshall guy, and then a Strat/Deluxe Reverb guy.
    Turns out I’m a vintagey Strat/Hiwatt guy.

11. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I guess I’m one of the oddballs that never had a problem playing “all of the above” :D

I love my Strat and Tele... haven’t felt the need for a Les Paul (though I love those too) since I got my CE22, and I just bought another Gibson semi cuz I had been GASing for one for a while

It’s all good... :cool:

12. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

I've gone through this cycle. Sometimes twice in one weekend. At their essence the LP style and Strat style just do different things and both are awesome under the right conditions.

About a "Clapton moment"... you wish. We all wish.

Bluesidae likes this.
  13. Gclef

Gclef Member

Quite the opposite for me. I started with a strat, went through some Ibanez and stuff.

I now have a strat, a tele, a les Paul type, a p90 Gibson type, a semi hollow, and a few shredders.

I do play best on the strat or the Yamaha revstar (p90).

14. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I've always played LPs and when I tried a strat I couldn't get rid of it quick enough. I remember my first gig with it. I played the first few songs, really wasn't feeling it, looked over to the other guitarist who had also noticed and was pulling a face. Strapped the LP back on, tweaked the settings back and everything was right with the world again. This experience has put me off a Fender style again, though I'm still a bit Tele curious. LP is my comfort blanket :) might have got on with a SSS strat better if I used a compressor to bump it up and help me out a bit!

15. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

I’m not even going to type what I thought you were talking about.

16. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I went through similar changes through Gibsons to Fenders and wandered through the wilderness. I have come to grips with my madness and bring three guitars to every gig - a single coil Strat or Tele, a humbucker equipped Gibson and a third wild card (P-90's, Filtertrons, whatever). I play one each set and enjoy the diversity of feel and tone. And yes, I really dig Tele's now for my first set guitar. And when I switch to HB's in set 2, things really take off.

17. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

When I hoped on the electric guitar band wagon, I started playing with Strats exclusively for almost 15 years. Then got my first Tele, then my SG with P90s, then my 335. I like having them all.

I'm not considering myself a Fender or a Gibson guy anymore. Different brushes for different painting styles!

18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I don't think musicians think about themselves as this or that kind of guitar "guys." Why even think in those terms? Honestly, it makes zero sense to me -- getting concepts in the way of creating notes and tones and musical expression. Try stuff out, go with what inspires you and sounds good to you, and certainly don't waste a nanosecond pigeonholing yourself. You know, Roy Buchanan owned and played a Les Paul, too. If you're a Strat guy, you're not really a musician -- you're a guy who plays Strats. Ditto for LP guys.

19. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

I thought you were referring to stealing your best friend's girl