Am I getting taken?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalbored, Dec 14, 2019.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

I decided I needed a small backup amp. I found a used Fender Hod Rod Deluxe, older USA model, that the owner said he bought used a few years ago for $400. He'll cut me a deal and sell it to me for $375. Fair? Reasonable price? what do the older ones sell for used?

2. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Decent deal. These amps are great pedal platforms. The price he's asking is not a steal but it's fair.

3. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

No. But not small and not a really good amp, imo.

4. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Seems in line with the sold prices on Reverb. $300-380.

5. Tootone

Tootone Member

I'd say its a good deal if there are no major issues with it... try before you if you can. A good tech service will probably set you back another $300-400, as long as nothing major needs replacing.

The older Deluxes had a bit of a thin/squealy overdrive channel - best used low gain for "just on edge of overdriving"... IMO that channel sounded s#!+ with Drive level past 9-10 Oclock (That was main fix when HotRod III came out).

Or.. just use it's clean channel exclusively... which can sound good cranked... and pedals.

Also... they go from Zero to Loud at about 8-9 Oclock on the clean volume... there are easy fixes for this I believe changing Vol pot/taper.

6. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

Damn, I need to start doing work on the side. Are dudes really getting $300-400 to replace filter caps and bias new power tubes?

7. SteveO

SteveO Member

Yes, they came with linear taper volume pots for some stupid reason, probably to make them seem louder than they are when demoing them at the store. Swapping to an audio/log taper pot solves this problem.

8. Tootone

Tootone Member

A good tech in Australia will charge this including materials.

Edit: You get a bit more than Tube swaps... faulting, optimisation, biasing, component upgrades... I'd rather do this than pay some dude $180 to do swaps I could do myself.

9. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

BRB, moving to Australia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know what? Nevermind.........

Tootone likes this.