1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Am I going to ruin the speakers if I do this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mule, May 21, 2011.

1. Mule

Mule Member

I have a cab that I'm trying out that has 2 30w Celestion G12H running at 16 ohms. (8 ohms each) I'm using a 60W Carvin nomad to power them. I was going to try the cab out at a gig tonight but I'm concerned about blowing out the speakers. Set up the way they are is this a legitimate concern?
    I plead ignorance when it comes to stuff like that. This is a last minute idea that I had to try this at tonight's gig..... any help is appreciated.. thanks

2. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

General rule of thumb is that you multiply the wattage of the lowest one by the number of speakers. You should be fine.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. _arvin

_arvin Guest

Carvin Nomad/Belair/VT50 amps are rated at 50 watts RMS.

As far as I know, you'd be okay but you won't want to push the amp very hard in terms of volume.

4. Mule

Mule Member

Yes you are correct 50watt amp. (got my head up my *** today) I'll give it a shot tonight. It's a club gig so I shouldnt have to crank it up too much. I know the guy at the music store and he was kind enough to let me try it at a gig so I dont want to trash it.

Thanks for the info.

5. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

from what arvin said if the amp is rated @ 50 watts, you will *PROBABLY* not blow the speakers, but i wouldnt make any guarantees

more likely is that your tone goes to **** because the speakers are working so hard (though some people like this)

6. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

If the cab has 2 8 ohm speakers and is rated at 16 ohms, then the speakers are wired in series. Therefore, the cab is only good for 30 watts. The speakers would have to be wired in parallel for it to be a 60watt cab( but then it would be a 4 ohm cab).

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sorry, nope.

series or parallel, two speakers of equal impedance split the power evenly between them.

two 30-watt speakers driven by a 50-watt amp at normal club volume will be fine, as each speaker gets 25 watts.

(also, G12-Hs are efficient speakers, so they get loud with little power. you'll get plenty of volume at well below 25 watts of actual power per speaker.)

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

This. Unless the amp is dimed it shouldnt be an issue. Those Celestions are pretty tough.Bob

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  9. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Well, at between 2 and 4 on the gain this holds true. If the OP is going to push the amp or using pedals and running heavy distortion the power and waveform will be more of a strain on the speakers. Should that be the case and seeing as these are Celestions there's a chance they will blow.

10. Mule

Mule Member

Thanks for all the advise. For what ever reason the cab sounded like sh*t. I played about four songs before I plugged the on-board speaker back in. It's always better to try before you buy!!!

11. wildshoetwt

wildshoetwt Member

might want to try a 4x12 if you were actually pushing it

i know that my 2x12 w/ low watt brit speakers cant stand up to volume, it just gets flabbygasted and starts to melt and cry and whine and flab out on me

12. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hmm, are you sure it was wired right? maybe the speakers were out of polarity with each other.

i can see it sounding different and maybe you not liking it with a particular amp, but i'm surprised it sounded "like sh*t".

13. rockon1

rockon1 Member

+1 Bob