Am I having an 80's flashback ?

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I'd totally gotten away from using compressors and chorus.

instead of compressors, I've been using clean boost in front of other od pedals.

I guess it never ends, since now I'm contemplating adding a comp to my board, and a warm chorus that plays well with dirt pedals (if there is such a thing). I don't really like chorus, but actually prefer the subtle detune thing.

much of this is due to getting back in a cover band situation.
has anyone else gone thru a similar scenario?? I'm seeing a lot of chorus threads here lately, so maybe it's not just me....

Last edited:

yellowecho

Umm yes! I just recently purchased a Quadraverb from a fellow member (hey carl) for this very reason.
I remember having one of these units years ago and the sound is very distinctive for early shoegazey bands..
damn flashbacks..heh:p

sgv300

I use 2 chorus pedals for the 80's cover band I'm in (myspace.com/rocketpark). A Dano Fab Chorus ($15) gives all the Billy Duffy Cult tones, the Arion SCH-1 split to 2 amps gives a huge spacial sound. Add 2 delays and you'll think it's 1983 all over again. Sounds like the Fixx meets VH 1984.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
+1 for the Arion SCH-1. I have one that I bought in the 90's, one of my first pedals ever. Plays great with dirt, before or after. I kick it on every once in a while to fatten things up, or split it for a huge stereo sound. The 80's were great for me.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I still have a quadraverb, although the display is non-functional. I can probably buy something else for the cost of repair. it sounded great when used in the efx loop. I also have a nanoverb which isn't bad in the loop either.

I want something that will work well in front of the amp. primarily in mono. the anti-80's chorus :)

I might try the arion, or maybe another chorus that has a wet/dry mix knob. how is the buffer on the stock arion?

Last edited:

blood5150

No.. I am.

Just bought one of these...

charvel_07.jpg

ninjaaron

DO NOT LIKE CHORUS. Even if I cover a song that has it, I don't use it. The closest I come is modulated delay. I have also, very rarely used the detuned setting on my PS-5, but I don't even really like that.

But I use comp all the time.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
The Digitech Hardwire CR7 is a very nice chorus... allows you to pick from several different types (boutique, multi, analog, jazz, vintage etc etc) and has a level control which lets you bring in very little to color the sound. I think it's one of the best ones out there and I've tried SO many over the last six months.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I might try the arion, or maybe another chorus that has a wet/dry mix knob. how is the buffer on the stock arion?

Seems fine to me. Don't hear a difference in tone with it in the chain, always friendly with other pedals.

sgv300

How's the buffer in the Arion? Lord knows, I always have it on! ~ along with with about 5 other pedals! That's the 80's sound to me, a chorus or two always on, a delay or two always on, mixing in some Digitech Space Station, a couple of degrees of dirt. Yeah it's a cheesy sound, but it's that 80s sound fo sho - especially live in a bar.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I think I'm going to hold off on a chorus for now. eventually I want to track down a small pedal that does a nice subtle detune, and doesn't mess with the base tone too much. I was experimenting with my carbon copy delay and came up with a nice setting - dialed in a short delay with modulation.

the 80's flashback may be over for now, but I may still get another comp somewhere down the line :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom