• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Am I having an 80's flashback ?

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I'd totally gotten away from using compressors and chorus.

instead of compressors, I've been using clean boost in front of other od pedals.

I guess it never ends, since now I'm contemplating adding a comp to my board, and a warm chorus that plays well with dirt pedals (if there is such a thing). I don't really like chorus, but actually prefer the subtle detune thing.

much of this is due to getting back in a cover band situation.
has anyone else gone thru a similar scenario?? I'm seeing a lot of chorus threads here lately, so maybe it's not just me....

Last edited:

yellowecho

Umm yes! I just recently purchased a Quadraverb from a fellow member (hey carl) for this very reason.
I remember having one of these units years ago and the sound is very distinctive for early shoegazey bands..
damn flashbacks..heh:p

sgv300

I use 2 chorus pedals for the 80's cover band I'm in (myspace.com/rocketpark). A Dano Fab Chorus ($15) gives all the Billy Duffy Cult tones, the Arion SCH-1 split to 2 amps gives a huge spacial sound. Add 2 delays and you'll think it's 1983 all over again. Sounds like the Fixx meets VH 1984.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
+1 for the Arion SCH-1. I have one that I bought in the 90's, one of my first pedals ever. Plays great with dirt, before or after. I kick it on every once in a while to fatten things up, or split it for a huge stereo sound. The 80's were great for me.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I still have a quadraverb, although the display is non-functional. I can probably buy something else for the cost of repair. it sounded great when used in the efx loop. I also have a nanoverb which isn't bad in the loop either.

I want something that will work well in front of the amp. primarily in mono. the anti-80's chorus :)

I might try the arion, or maybe another chorus that has a wet/dry mix knob. how is the buffer on the stock arion?

Last edited:

ninjaaron

DO NOT LIKE CHORUS. Even if I cover a song that has it, I don't use it. The closest I come is modulated delay. I have also, very rarely used the detuned setting on my PS-5, but I don't even really like that.

But I use comp all the time.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
The Digitech Hardwire CR7 is a very nice chorus... allows you to pick from several different types (boutique, multi, analog, jazz, vintage etc etc) and has a level control which lets you bring in very little to color the sound. I think it's one of the best ones out there and I've tried SO many over the last six months.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I might try the arion, or maybe another chorus that has a wet/dry mix knob. how is the buffer on the stock arion?
Seems fine to me. Don't hear a difference in tone with it in the chain, always friendly with other pedals.

sgv300

How's the buffer in the Arion? Lord knows, I always have it on! ~ along with with about 5 other pedals! That's the 80's sound to me, a chorus or two always on, a delay or two always on, mixing in some Digitech Space Station, a couple of degrees of dirt. Yeah it's a cheesy sound, but it's that 80s sound fo sho - especially live in a bar.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
I think I'm going to hold off on a chorus for now. eventually I want to track down a small pedal that does a nice subtle detune, and doesn't mess with the base tone too much. I was experimenting with my carbon copy delay and came up with a nice setting - dialed in a short delay with modulation.

the 80's flashback may be over for now, but I may still get another comp somewhere down the line :)

Trending Topics