Am I likely to blow my 200 watt EVM12L with 300 SS watts?

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I'm putting together a little modeling rig using a Velocity 300 bridged for 300 watts going into my Mesa Thiele loaded with a 200 watt EVM 12L. I have virtually no experience using ss power amps with guitar. Do you think it's likely I could damage/destroy the EV? I do have a 300 watt EVM 12L I could drop in but would rather not mess with it if I don't have anything to worry about.

BillyV

Not unless you are really slamming the speaker with all 300 watts. The EV is a beast of a speaker.

tony_clifton

Can you un-bridge the amp and lower the output to 150 watts that way?
That would be safe, and still plenty loud too probably.

Otherwise you need 2 cabs or a speaker with even more power handling (if that happens to exist).

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I realize this is a rookie question but because tube amps 100 watts appear so much louder than 100 ss watts I had to ask. I may just put the 300 watt EV in the cab and play it safe.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I realize this is a rookie question but because tube amps 100 watts appear so much louder than 100 ss watts I had to ask. I may just put the 300 watt EV in the cab and play it safe.
Despite what people around here may say, a watt is a clearly defined unit of electrical power. Whether it comes from tubes or transistors doesn't make any difference to that definition.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Despite what people around here may say, a watt is a clearly defined unit of electrical power. Whether it comes from tubes or transistors doesn't make any difference to that definition.
This.

I realize this is a rookie question but because tube amps 100 watts appear so much louder than 100 ss watts I had to ask.
Volume is not the issue, it's a question of watts overheating your voice coil.

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
This.

Volume is not the issue, it's a question of watts overheating your voice coil.
Thanks. Thats something I can wrap my mind around. I probably don't need 300 watts since all my gigs involve fairly low stage volumes anyway. It's just nice to have the extra on hand if need be.

solitaire

Thanks. Thats something I can wrap my mind around. I probably don't need 300 watts since all my gigs involve fairly low stage volumes anyway. It's just nice to have the extra on hand if need be.
Per usual even the 300W may not hold for very long. I would certainly unbridge the amp or use both speakers as there is no telling how much power you're actually put out at any given moment. The W are rated at relatively clean sine wave. Anything other than that could be good by speaker.

dspellman

I don't think you'll have problems. If you're running fairly low stage volumes you're highly unlikely to be using anywhere near the full 300W. The speaker only needs one watt to put out 100 db measured at about three feet. At 121 dB you'll be running about 128W. That voice coil will handle a LOT of power and has the ability to dissipate a LOT of heat.

This is something like having an engine in your car that puts out a maximum of 300 hp. You have a transmission that's only rated to handle about 250 hp. In normal driving, you'll probably only ever use 50-100 of those horses, so your transmission is in no danger.

cirpo58

I used Rocktron Velocity 300 in a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30 (60+60w) for a long time and I pushed Velocity up to 3/4 of Volume without any problem for my speakers.
Don't know about people in front of me...:mob :Devil

OrganicTimbre

It's always possible, but realistically I don't think many people will be putting out 200W consistently. If you play Morbid Angel at full blast for a few minutes straight, yeah, you will blow it. Most people have some dynamics in their playing; soft passages, breaks, clean lines, etc. Your peak may hit 300W at times, but your average over time may be somewhere around 100W or so. Even if you exceed 200W for a few seconds, you won't blow it. The concern is thermal, if you are consistently over 200W for long periods of time, the speaker is likely to overwork itself.

Trending Topics