Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ungarn, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ungarn

ungarn Member

Am I missing something?

I primarily play electric guitar, but have have been contemplating upgrading my acoustic to strum and sing to my new toddler. I have a Martin / Sigma (Korea) DM-2 dred-style acoustic that is nothing special, but definitely gets the job done. I bought it used years ago for $150.

Today I went out and played a few Martins, Tacomas, and Seagulls at a local music store. They were all very nice, but there was not MILES of difference between them, and the acoustic I already have. Sure the volume, tone, resale, craftsmanship, etc. were superior but I expected a bigger difference.

Now I doubt that any upgrade is necessary. Maybe a few upgrades like a bone nut and compensated saddle is really all I need.

I am curious to hear what other TGP members have to say.

Thanks!

-Thad

2. TwinandTwang

TwinandTwang Member

It sounds like you have a fine playing guitar. It also sounds good to your ear. If you were to bring that instrument in and compare to the others differences may be more easily apparent. Also playing together with another instrument will often make the strong points or shortcomings very noticeable.

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I say keep playing the Sigma . In the early 70's one of my bandmates had a D-sized Sigma and if it aged as well as it sounded then , I'm just guessing you'd probably drop $800 to a grand on a new one to equal it . Get it tweaked and play on . :AOK

4. TomK

TomK Member

My experience with little kids and guitars is that eventually they get curious and grab it, touch, knock it over, puke on it, etc. - better an inexpensive ax than a pricey one! Fix an obvious intonation, action or structural issues but keep the Sigma. I don't think your toddler will notice the difference between that and a martin or a taylor. What matters to him is that daddy is playing for me!

5. ungarn

ungarn Member

Thanks all...agreed, the Sigma has aged nicely and getting it "tweaked" is decidedly cheaper than a new axe.

Cheers,

-Thad

6. radicool

radicool Member

Agree with the others about keeping the Sigma. I friend of mine has one that I play from time to time, and it really sounds very good. I first played this guitar 6-7 years ago, and I'm certain it sounds a lot better now - stays in tune, too.

7. alpep

alpep Member

what is wrong with playing what sounds best to your own ears and feels best in your own hands?

nothing

8. Avenger

Avenger Member

I don't think you are necessarily missing anything. Some inexpensive guitars can sound quite nice. I even play my first $100 Yamaha acoustic from time to time. It has sentimental value, but it also sounds not half bad. I can play it for hours and still enjoy what I'm hearing. My Taylor has more volume, more bass, sweeter treble, more overtones etc., but that doesn't mean the Yamaha sounds bad, just different. I'd say if you haven't come accross a more expensive instrument that is plainly better to your ears, keep enjoying the guitar you have. It seems silly to just buy a more expensive guitar based on the opinions of other people. Trust your own ears.

9. chaz bernstein

chaz bernstein Member

...there are martins and there are martins.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I never thought I was missing anything. Then I played a few Collings guitars.

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

Collings and Martins are out of my league...I was leaning towards either Tacoma or Breedlove Atlas. Honestly...my Korean Martin Sigma sounds damn good, and I bought it used 12 years ago for $150 or so. I'll save my $$$ and strum the Sigma for my toddler. He won't know the difference. :)

Thanks for all the great replies!

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Pick up a Taylor - try a 400 series or higher. You should start to see the bar a bit higher somewhere around there

peace,

jb

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

My primary acoustic is a Mitchell I picked up for $300. Went in and played a bunch of acoustics in my price range, was the best sounding by a longshot. Also have a old Fender (yes all wood lol) that is beat up, but sounds awsome. Sure, Taylors and others are great guitars, would love to own one someday. But if it works for your ears, then play it!