Am I nuts, or does the DOD 250 rule?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Jan 26, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I stopped into a local music shop yesterday, and there in the glass case was a used DOD 250 OD in new condition for $20. I thought to myself, for $20, even if it sucks, I'll just use it as a door-jamb or a hammer or a weapon.

Anyway, I asked to quickly try it out, and admittedly it was a very brief test drive through a Line 6 spider valve, but damned if that little yellow box didn't sound at least as good--if not better--than the Fulldrive II Mosfet I just traded.

Is this possible? Am I nuts?:crazy

2. woude

woude Member

nope, sounds great to my ears. Just a totally different sound than the fulldrive, but it surprised me too! You should really hear it through a good tube amp by the way...

3. silverface63

silverface63 Member

My girl bought me a yellow reissue a few years ago. It was ok but, when I sent it to Analogman for a TB, 9v tap and Mojo mod it became much much better. I have it sitting right next to my computer because I usually play it through my Pignose amp. Great pedal for sure!!!

4. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I have a Slow Burn built by Mr> Mcbroom. It is based on the dod-250 and I love it.

5. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Follow up to the original post. I took it home and put it through the paces with my stock setup, which is a Genz Benz B30 and Peavey Classic 30 running in stereo, split via an Akai Headrush into a Maxon Chorus, which sends the delayed/chorused signal to the Peavey and keeps the BP30 dry. I use a Barber TPEQ and older Burn Unit into a Duncan Twin Tube for various flavors of dirt.

In any case, I placed the DOD 250 first in the chain before the Barbers, and f*ck me if that little $20 box didn't make the whole setup sound HUGE. Even with the rest of the pedals bypassed, the 250 imparted a roundness and warmth to the tone that really blew me away. I had it set mostly at 10:00 GAIN, and 2:00 LEVEL.

I'll tell you what. For the life of me I can't understand why a)it's taken me so long to try this pedal b)it doesn't get more attention on this board and c)why more boutique builders don't clone/modify this cicuit.

I opened it up, and there's like nothing to it. And the most surprising thing about it is, no matter how many TS808-variations I try, they all seem to attenuate the low frequencies. This thing actually ENHANCES the bass.

This is all very confusing. My whole world is upside down.

6. dancehall

dancehall Member

I love the way it breaks up, just wish it were more transparent. A little muddy for me. It is a GREAT pedal for nasty pickstyle bass, though.

7. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

The 250 was my first OD. I sitll have it 25 years later. The switch is shot but it's always sounded good to me.

Scott