Am I nuts, or does the DOD 250 rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsongsmith

I stopped into a local music shop yesterday, and there in the glass case was a used DOD 250 OD in new condition for $20. I thought to myself, for $20, even if it sucks, I'll just use it as a door-jamb or a hammer or a weapon.

Anyway, I asked to quickly try it out, and admittedly it was a very brief test drive through a Line 6 spider valve, but damned if that little yellow box didn't sound at least as good--if not better--than the Fulldrive II Mosfet I just traded.

Is this possible? Am I nuts?:crazy

woude

nope, sounds great to my ears. Just a totally different sound than the fulldrive, but it surprised me too! You should really hear it through a good tube amp by the way...

silverface63

My girl bought me a yellow reissue a few years ago. It was ok but, when I sent it to Analogman for a TB, 9v tap and Mojo mod it became much much better. I have it sitting right next to my computer because I usually play it through my Pignose amp. Great pedal for sure!!!

popsongsmith

Follow up to the original post. I took it home and put it through the paces with my stock setup, which is a Genz Benz B30 and Peavey Classic 30 running in stereo, split via an Akai Headrush into a Maxon Chorus, which sends the delayed/chorused signal to the Peavey and keeps the BP30 dry. I use a Barber TPEQ and older Burn Unit into a Duncan Twin Tube for various flavors of dirt.

In any case, I placed the DOD 250 first in the chain before the Barbers, and f*ck me if that little $20 box didn't make the whole setup sound HUGE. Even with the rest of the pedals bypassed, the 250 imparted a roundness and warmth to the tone that really blew me away. I had it set mostly at 10:00 GAIN, and 2:00 LEVEL.

I'll tell you what. For the life of me I can't understand why a)it's taken me so long to try this pedal b)it doesn't get more attention on this board and c)why more boutique builders don't clone/modify this cicuit.

I opened it up, and there's like nothing to it. And the most surprising thing about it is, no matter how many TS808-variations I try, they all seem to attenuate the low frequencies. This thing actually ENHANCES the bass.

This is all very confusing. My whole world is upside down.

dancehall

I love the way it breaks up, just wish it were more transparent. A little muddy for me. It is a GREAT pedal for nasty pickstyle bass, though.

KingswayLife

Just got the JHS #75 Throwback (250 units) the thing literally in one swoop took all my drives off my board except for the EHX Big Muff Pi current reissue, and the Dunlop Eric Johnson Signature Fuzz Face.
JHS knocked it out of the park with an incredible circuit made even better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-160908.png
    Screenshot_20220225-160908.png
    784.7 KB · Views: 14

Junco Partner

Just got the JHS #75 Throwback (250 units) the thing literally in one swoop took all my drives off my board except for the EHX Big Muff Pi current reissue, and the Dunlop Eric Johnson Signature Fuzz Face.
JHS knocked it out of the park with an incredible circuit made even better
Nice 14 year zombie thread BRO

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
Nice 14 year zombie thread BRO
Lol.

Also, how did JHS "knock it out of the park" by making the circuit "even better"? What changes did JHS make?

The only difference I see is you bought a Beanie Baby disguised as a guitar pedal?

(Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that- I've done the same. But it is what it is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom