Am I over pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by digiTED, Feb 18, 2012.

1. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

It's been kinda weird lately; I hardly reach for fx pedals anymore. I have about 40 killer ODs, fuzzes, delays, flangers, etc, but all I've been touching lately is a germanium booster and a tremolo if anything at all.

My two amps can both be set to give their individual range of cleans to edge to saturation just with the guitar volume and maybe a booster.

For example, I have the currently scarce but fantastic Diamond Cornerstone going unused. It's a killer crunchy OD with excellent feel, dynamics, and voicing, but I can get the same thing out of my Mercury :dunno

When I've reached for the pedalboard (thinking I may find new inspiration), I have just been distracted from working to play with a new sound for a few minutes then move on. I usually just settle into familiar patterns.

Going into the amps straight or close to it has corresponded with a burst of songwriting as of late.

I'm thinking it's a phase and should just relax and let me pedal collection sit for while in case I do come back to finding creative inspiration from them, but sometimes I wonder if my musical life is moving away for using FX at all.

Has anyone else gotten bogged down by too much gear? If you've purged, have you regretted it and re-stocked?

2. bahklava

bahklava Senior Member

Generally, I find I do my most constructive songwriting just strumming on a guitar without even bothering to plug it into anything. When I want to do some fine-tuning (eg do I want to use Gm or Gm7?), that's when having the full rig set up can help - I can hear the audio difference between the little details.

EDIT: Do you have anything you'd like to sell for $50-75?

3. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I've never gone in for many pedals. Tuner, wah, OD, boost and delay is all I ever use. Varies at times, but at most I'll go about 5 pedals deep, usually 3-4. I like keeping it simple.

4. apeape

apeape Member

Its been 6 months without buying pedals for me. Really happy with my set up. I use to go for 10 pedals, now its only 3.

5. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Ted, you're a man of taste...sometimes simple is just the best. But let me know first if you plan on selling anything ;)

I've done the TGP pedal glut and realized it was time to tame it some. Now I'm trying to enjoy what I've found (which I'm pretty happy with) and focus more on playing. I appreciate what Carl Verheyen said about pedals being tools...that's all they are. Not a crutch, a fix, better or worse, just tools - use the tools you need when you need them.

6. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

I've gone from have a big 14 pedal board to the minimalist thing in my sig.
    As has been said many times, tone tweaking and looking for the "perfect pedal"
    can take away significant creative time - I know for some people that IS creative time,
    but after a while just hitting a few old riffs saying "listen to that burly fuzz, doooood!"
    starts to hold back stuff that matters - writing, improving technique, deepening understanding of music.
    Everybody's different, but I've definitely been more productive and my playing is getting stronger
    since ditching the 5 or 6 dirt pedals I was using, tons of modulation, etc.

7. acwild

acwild Member

I did a huge pedal purge after buying the right amp. No regrets whatsoever. Now I just have a delay and a wah, and they don't get kicked on often. Pedals were a good addiction though as they're relatively affordable in the gear realm. Since I've lost my pedal lust, my attention is back to buying guitars.

8. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I totally understand. I've just sold about 20 pedals....and I've got another 20 or so to go, because I've settled on a few favorites....and have Evolved...LOL

9. Zingeroo

Zingeroo Member

I've gone to 0 pedals. None. Nada.

10. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

ha, this is a legitimate concern. I've found myself thinking "ok, if I don't buy any pedals, I can buy another vintage Jazzmaster and a Johnny Marr Jag this year!"

11. JTL

JTL Member

Similar situation here. I've moved most everything I used previously. Thinned the herd to a few things that give me sounds I have no way to mimic otherwise: Klon, Plextortion, Tim, DMM, etc. Rediscovering the freedom of Fingers + Les Paul-> cranked AC30.

I mean let's be honest, here. If that set-up is good enough for Daniel Lanois, it's good enough for me.

12. Kelfecil

Kelfecil Member

Not buying an effect every month or 2 or 3 doesn't mean you are over them..
    (someone else in another thread said that also and I totally agree with him that you have to wait at least 3-4 months to research a pedal before buying and stuff like that.)

Other than that....i find myself in the same situation half the days a week has, EVERY week!
    I'm still studying jazz theory (ending this year my studies) and I find myself studying jazz/latin/fusion stuff that I like and find no use for my pedals most of the times in these stuff (except maybe a reverb or the looper on my delay for improvisation).

For example I NEVER use a fuzz/distortion when improvising, I just don't see why.

Just saying,fx are a whole-other world for me,and I find it really interesting to sit down and search for new sounds from the same 3-4 pedals in the same chain i had for 5-6 months.

Think about that stuff. I believe it's just the stuff you play, not that you got bored of your pedals. (I don't know how that can happen to me...ever :p! BUT you never know..)

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Great comments; thx!

There have been times when I am inspired by new colors from stomps to be sure.

I think at this point in time, I just have better (for my needs) amps around (less need for dirt), have a new rehearsal space that's much bigger (less need for time FX), and with a new baby reducing my time for music, have really been focusing more on chops and songwriting to keep my forward progress happening (greater need for a simple rig).

All that said, I can still plug in a great fuzz or delay and get lost for a while, so I should probably just let the stomps sit in my gear cabinet for a while.

14. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

LOL

Thank you my good man. I would be remiss if I did not offer the same accolade to you! ;)

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Im on the verge of quitting. Maybe just pick up a few here and there or trade. I have got way out of control the last year and a half. Its ridiculus. It consumes alot of my time and I dont hear a huge difference in 90% of the effects I try. Also, it leaves a huge paper trail thru paypal and my bank statements.

Maybe we should request from the mods we need a GA room? (GAS Anonomous) Haha! Confessions of a GAS whore!

16. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

It's good and healthy to change the routine. I've had times when the rack unit went out the door everytime I played, then through years of nothing but the guitar, amp, a delay pedal and tuner. At the moment I have a few pedals in my collection and would like to add a Fulltone Octave.

The main key is to use the pedals, and not let them use you.

17. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Great point! Easy to lose track of what these devices are good for when in the throes of GAS.

I'll participate in in some GA group therapy, zosozep7!