Am I the Only Idiot Here?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by decay-o-caster, Jul 13, 2008.

1. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Am I the only person who doesn't make notes about chords / arrangements / melodies / etc? :mad:

I was just digging through my projects folder on my Mac, and I found one I recorded two months ago. Pretty obviously I had the music but no lyrics yet, so I must've put down the rhythm and bass parts so I could work on words at my leisure.

And I had zero recollection of what the hell the song was.

I just spent the last half hour trying to figure out what I recorded, and since my ear sucks, it took a lot longer than it ever should have. I mean, I gave myself a nice clue by calling it "Fast Em Thing", but beyond that, I didn't recall even playing it. And of course, I didn't write down the changes anywhere that I could find. I mean, when you come up with something you can't stop playing it, so there's no way you could forget it right? Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Does anyone else do this?

2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Not me .... I write 'em down really BIG like this ...
    (but it still doesn't stop me from falling into the 'idoit' = short term memory failing catagory)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I've been using the Stickies app on the desktop...
    When I remember to...

Now, let's see if I can steal your song! ;)

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Ha! Plenty of "idiots" to go around, on here, David. I use low tech "stickies" Post It's - my desk fills up with them until my Wife, bless her, files them.....now I have this file full up with interesting Post It's - only I don't know what they apply to.........

Best, Pete.

5. stelligan

stelligan Member

Bless your wife indeed! My wife tends to file things in the round file. Not maliciously, though. Threw out the pawn ticket to my '65 Strat back in the living hand to mouth days. In her defense - I leave things and write things in all the wrong places, though. Whatever is nearest at hand. Is it idiocy to write important notes and musings in the margins of the daily paper? derrr.........

6. bilbal

bilbal Member

You are definitely not the ONLY IDIOT HERE!!! There are plenty - LOL!!! Sorry - it was wide open!!!

Now, as far as the note thing goes, I have a binder with every chord change and lyric of each song in order of the setlist. It's nice to know I have running reference there in front of me at all times. Hey, orchestras use music stands and charts, why can't we all?

Bill

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  7. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Guilty!

Cheers,

Mats N

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

well i never HAD to write anything down until recently. now it's like i learn a new song = i forget how to zip up my pants.

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

:rotflmao

It was so much easier when I only KNEW 3 songs.

10. scoob

scoob Member

Yep, put me down in the idiot category...although this thread has made me see the errors of my ways...put a notebook on my recording desk!!
    I have projects in Garageband named Tuesday night, D jam, 50 watt dropkick - nothing that really helps at all...
    And I find myself trying to re-learn what I put down in a fit of inspiration more than a few times too.
    [hitting my head against the desk]: STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!

And what bothers me even more is I have make sure to write down at least the changes on cover songs when I am learning them...sometimes more. But I don't do this for my own stuff! IDIOT!!! Like I said, there's a notebook on my recording desk from now on.

11. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

My notebook makes a great spot to put my coffee cup... :(

Can't wait to hear "50 Watt Dropkick"!

12. PacoCasanovas

PacoCasanovas Member

same here...i have no clue, but plenty of ideas! :D