Am I The Only One on TGP That Owns A Carl Martin AC Tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dhdfoster, Apr 20, 2008.

1. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I never see any threads about the CM AC Tone. I know it's designed to sound Vox-ish, but I think it's simply a great sounding pedal. I've bought and tried a few of the boutique type pedals that are popular here and I always go back to it.

I think it sounds quite natural and has great clarity and "texture". The two channels of OD and a clean boost are just icing on the cake.

Anyone else? (else, else, els, el, e)

Well, besides Rid.

2. Pott

Pott Member

I have a ACtone prototype thingy. I love it! The sound is just very nice, you get as much gain as you want, and you keep what makes the Plexitone so cool: cleaning up from volume pot on the guitar, clarity, cut...

3. dhdfoster

Cool! Your proto has more gain than the production model, I believe. I know it can be modded for more gain on channel 2, but I haven't done that.

I helped someone with some demos and she sent me recordings of the band practicing and I was really impressed with how good the pedal sounded. Throw it in gig bag, and you've got an additional two channels for your amp, and a boost for solos.

I've noticed there isn't a lot of CM chatter here.

4. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

Can't comment on YOUR pedal but I'm STILL in the honeymoon phase with my CM Quattro (1st version w/trem) and I've had it quite some time! They make superb stuff.
    Greg

5. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I wanted an AC Tone quite a bit a while back, but stumbled on a Lovepedal DOV (great at the high gain stuff IMO), and later picked up an OLC English Channel from a fellow TGPer for lower gain stuff. The AC Tone seems like such a great design though--2 levels plus a boost all in one pedal. I'm surprised it doesn't get more notice, too.

Was trying to remember--does it just have a regular power cord (no transformer) you can plug right in to power it?

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Another Quattro fan here - sounds great every time I plug in. I will be keeping my eyes open for an AC tone given my current band. Clips I have heard sound outstanding. I think the CM stuff just doesn't get the attention it deserves in the states - as good as it gets for my ears.

7. haslar

haslar Member

A friend of mine let me borrow his AC Tone a few days ago.
    I LOVE the thing.
    It's now on my pedalboard, and had replaced my Menatone KotB.
    It's less mid-heavy than the KotB, and the controls are very effective - as opposed to the Menatone.
    Great stuff.

8. asintoras

asintoras Member

I have a Plexitone, and I also have uploaded a demo vid (in spanish, sorry... it was for my buddies in my country).
    I really like it. Now I'm using just the overdrive on my amp, but I keep using the Plexitone's boost for solos.

9. dhdfoster

Yes, it does. The transformer is inside so ther's no wall-wart adapter. The cord is hard-wired. Great design.