• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Am I the only one that digs Andy Taylor's guitar work?

Mayfield

Gold Supporting Member
So I know Thunder sounds like the times it was recorded in but I still listen to this album on a regular basis. I thought his writing was simple, catchy with great guitar hooks. I really enjoy his solo work in general, as what he did with The Power Station. Am I a sucker for the 80's since I bought those albums when they came out...or is anyone else into them?

cber1517

Silver Supporting Member
Mayfield said:
So I know Thunder sounds like the times it was recorded in but I still listen to this album on a regular basis. I thought his writing was simple, catchy with great guitar hooks. I really enjoy his solo work in general, as what he did with The Power Station. Am I a sucker for the 80's since I bought those albums when they came out...or is anyone else into them?
I loved Power Station and his rhythm guitar work with Duran Duran. I dug his first solo single Take It Easy. Great vocalist also. Very underrated musician of his time. I think Duran Duran has lost its magic without him in the band.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

magdream

I Loved Thunder. I remember searching high and low for it on cd (I had the lp). Ironically enough, when I found a cd store that had it, they actually had 2. I thought about buying both, to make up for the effort it took to find it. Great songs and feel. Kinda dark and moody.

mjtripper

Silver Supporting Member
I like thunder also as well as the power station stuff. It took me forever to find the cd when my tape finally wore out.

I play in a very occasional Duran Duran/Power Station cover band(4 shows in 10 years) and it's a lot of fun to play that stuff.

effectsman

I tracked down Thunder on CD after hearing a few tracks. Yes it is dated now but I still like to listen to it now and again. I think it is a fine solo effort from Andy. I loved his rhythm and lead work on The Powerstaion's Get it on and Some like it hot.

Would love to know more about his gear from that era.

Niblos

"...Dancing Girls!" You have to check out the remastered cd/dvd version of Power Station's first release that features the making of the album that originally aired on MTV and was released on vhs. Andy's drunk off his arse! I never really thought they were great players until Power Station hit the waves. I immediately had a new found respect for those brits.

Thank goodness I caught the whole band in Va. (Duran Duran) with Andy before he bolted. Rumor is Nick is a real control freak!

Last edited:

Jube2550

^^^ This. If you get beyond the visuals, Duran Duran was a damn fine band.
Andy had some pretty entertaining leads and rhythm on some of the Duran hits, RIO and Planet Earth come to mind. At least for a pop/top 40 band back in the 80s they were sportin a decent guitarist!!! Guilty pleasure for me....even Power Station was pretty rockin despite the cheeze factor.

Trending Topics