Am I the only one that hates Spring Reverb?

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
I hate splashy reverb. A lot of people think that all spring reverb is splashy because so many amp & pedal companies copy the Fender reverb sound, but it doesn't have to be. I've had a number of amps with very smooth spring reverb. I even have a rack-mounted spring reverb which sounds almost like plate.

Gibsonchild

Gumpy Old Man
Silver Supporting Member
Nope, I don’t care for it either. My base tone has always been as dry as a popcorn fart.

But to be fair, my background is heavy palm muted Chugga Chugga stuff. And my main amp for all these years (Mesa DC3), as much as I love it, has the worst freaking reverb I’ve ever heard on an amp.

It’s taken me 20 years to get to the point that I can stomach any reverb as part of a guitar sound. Even then, I prefer a smoother digital reverb, and only if absolutely needed for a particular part.

Naigewron

Not a fan of spring reverb here either. I get why it exists, because it was an accessible and portable way to create ambience before digital reverb, but I don't like it at all. I feel the same about slapback echo too. I get why it exists, but I don't like it.

My brain is still trying to wrap itself around those words :p
It's not complicated: A good digital reverb will sound a lot more like a room/hall than a spring does.

raylinds

I play a lot of surf guitar, so I love it. But I prefer plate 'verb for most of the high gain stuff I play. I do think that spring is great for a more vintage sound, but can be a little dated for more a modern sound.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to personal preferences.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
There is no right or wrong when it comes to personal preferences.
Use one, the other or both.
Personal preference and suitability for the application allow a wide range.
YMMV. OP will find that applies to a lot of stuff some folks both revere and detest.
User error is rampant, too, with poor choices being made using gear that does not deliver the best results for the particular application.

markmann

I don't hate it, just never had a use for it. I do use most other reverb types on a regular basis though.

Dashface

Saying you don't like the reverb on a Super Reverb is like saying you don't like the bacon in your BLT. It's going to be a difficult sell around here :D

...I do get what you mean, though. If you actually want your reverb to sound like, well, reverb - and not the guitar effect we call reverb - then yes, a digital reverb will sound better. I mean, my PCM 80 obviously blows the doors off a spring reverb as far as sounding like the guitar is in a big room that is real... But the sound of a Fender reverb tank is in our DNA as guitarists.

(Also, to be transparent, this is coming from a guy who has been playing big iron non-reverb amps for a decade and a half, so it's not something I use a lot either)

Last edited:

Trending Topics