Am I the only one who didn't care for the Zen Drive?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lefty, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Lefty

Lefty Member

Don't get me wrong I thought it had some very cool qualities, but not enough of them to warrant keeping it. But I seem to be the minority in many places on this one.

2. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

Lefty,

No, you aren't alone. I tried one and didn't really get it. It sounded good but not good enough "to me" to warrant keeping ( I stress to me because tone is subjective so it's not bad just different). I have a 4-knob Mosferatu i am trying now and I like it much more. I just happened to prefer my tim for light od work.

Are you still using your ds1 pro? I'm thinking of trying one for a "Marshallish" tone. I had Keeley ds1 Ultra and while it was great (I loved the low end thump it added), it was a little lacking in the mids and zingy. Right now I am using a 6-knob king of the britians. It sounds good but it is so bright. I'm gonna try a cap mod, but if that doesn't work, its gone as well. The Analogman mod uses a JRC chip, right? I love ts pedals, so I'm thinking maybe it will be a ds1 with that ts smoothness and warmth. Am I far off? Thanks, Lefty. Take care\

Josh

3. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I liked mine but it wasn't what I was looking for so I sold it.

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I liked mine but i got a special mosferatu from here on the gear page with extra clipping options and it can sound like a mosferatu or a zendrive (yes it is heaven) so i traded my zendrive for a timmy which i also LOVE!

5. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

I used the first one I owned with a CS-336 and didn't like it very much. The overall result was too middy (duh).

I'm now using my second one into a Strat w/Lollar mini-humbuckers and like it much, much better.

6. Lefty

Lefty Member

I've not had an opportunity to compare the Keeley and AM DS-1, but I'm still diggin my AM DS-1. From what I've heard from others that have compare the two is the AM seems a bit warmer in the mids than the Keeley. And I'm pretty sure he uses an inline JRC chip, on the newer DS-1's. Come to think of it, I've never opened mine up to look...that's usually the 2nd thing I do to a pedal after I get it!!

I debated on the 4 knob Mos, but never pulled the trigger...maybe some day.

7. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

I'm liking my Zendrive a lot more than I used to. I discovered two things that are key to making it sound right to my ears:

1) The Voice knob needs to be fairly high, around 3:00. Otherwise, the tone is too dark and the overall feel (i.e. pick response) doesn't seem quite right. It's as if there's too much negative feedback happening somewhere within the circuit if the Voice knob is much lower than 3:00. I also like how higher settings give the Gain knob more range. To compensate for the higher Voice setting, which makes thinks sound brighter as well as gainier, I keep the Tone knob pretty low, around 9:00 or 9:30. The lower Tone setting then returns things back from Marshall City to Dumble Land.

2) I run the Zendrive into a homebrew "SHO" type JFET booster pedal (set for unity gain or slightly higher than UG). This seems to help fatten things up as well as giving some extra clarity. (It also gives me a clearer clean tone when the Zendrive is bypassed.) I've recently become a big believer in using a clean boost/buffer type of pedal at the end of the effects chain.

8. blong

blong Supporting Member

Nope. It was ok, but not my cup of tea. A good pedal for what it does. What it does is not something I dig a whole lot.

Bob

9. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I liked mine... and still do :) It does not cover 100% of the sounds I'm looking for, so I also use a TIM, OCD and RC Booster. But I have to say I use the Zendrive more than the others.

10. T-bone

T-bone Member

I thought it was a cool pedal and can see why others rave about it but in the end it wasn't my cup of tea.

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I loved it but had most of those tones covered by my Reverend Drivetrain II. I never got the Dumble connection like most of the other users are getting. To my ears, the GGG Standard Overdrive gets really, really close to Dumble tones, or what I hear when that amp is mentioned. Still a great pedal. :YinYang

12. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I like my Zendrive a lot, but like Jim Salman posted above, getting a handle on the voice knob, tone knob relationship (settings) is key to liking or not liking this pedal for what it can REALLY do.
    I am also a firm believer that the Zendrive not only sounds better, but "feels" better as well, when the voice knob is set past 1:00 o'clock (to taste after that) and the tone knob is set below 11:00 o'clock. (again to taste) Personally, I prefer the gain around 11:00 o'clock for the "hair" around the note stuff, and around 2:00 o'clock for some "heavier" stuff.
    It's a GREAT pedal, it's just not plug and play. (IMHO)

The other pedal I REALLY like is the new 10th Anniversary Full-Drive2 Mosfet Edition.

Chuck

13. jayn

jayn Member

+1. Stayed with the Timmy. The fellow I sold it to likes it quite a bit.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I had one and I liked it too, but I had other pedals that had very close to the same tones - V-Stack Tweedy, CJOD, Dual Drive. Not exactly the same, but so close that it didn't make sense to keep it, so I sold it.

That being said, I'm on the list to get the new Zendrive2, which I'm hoping will bring something unique to the table, ie: the pedal board "table", that is.

15. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I thought it was cool enough, but didn't really do anything to stand out for me. I ended trying a Hot Cake and it became my favorite pedal so far. I seem to always go through these phases, but I really think the Hot Cake is a keeper, much like my Fulldrive was for years and years.