Am I the only one who doesn't like celestion speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Celestion has been a staple name in speakers for decades and when I was a young lad having them in any amo was cool, that was way long ago before I knew anything about tone etc.. Now after 35 years of playing, i havent liked the sound of an amp with celestions in them at all. I preferred weber for a while but now am leaning towards Fat Jimmys and GA allessandro 64s for my Fenders. anybody else out there that doesnt prefer celestions?

silver surfer likes this.
  2. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

No, I hear folks complain about them a lot. I like ‘em, myself, but I get why folks don’t dig ‘em.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

I think I might prefer Eminence. I find Celestions are often brash sounding in a way that I don’t like at anything but really loud volumes.

4. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

" that was way long ago before I knew anything about fashion etc.. " I fixed that for you

Washburnmemphis and LPMojoGL like this.
  5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Celestion have consistently been my favorite speakers.

6. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...with such a wide range of speakers that can sound a lot different from one model to another it’s hard for me to imagine not caring for any of them...I guess I would apply that to any major speaker company though...it’s always about the sound each individual set of ears hears I guess...personally I like Golds and Greenbacks a lot...but not always with the same amps...

7. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Maybe you haven't tried enough of them yet?...

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Hmm...I haven’t really heard enough commonality across any line of speakers that would warrant me saying that I liked or disliked the whole line.

I mean, I prefer the WGS Retro 30 to the Vintage 30, but not by enough margin to get wrapped around the axle, for example.

9. fescue

fescue Member

What’s not to love about a Greenback? That’s sorta like saying you don’t like gravy on yer mashed potatoes.

10. Tritone

Tritone Member

I wasn't a big fan of the Greenback in my AC15. It sounded nasally and a little shrill. I swapped it out for a Creamback and was much happier--the mids evened out with a bit more lower-mid emphasis and the highers were smoothed out too.

buzzp likes this.
  11. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Holy cow! Your guys ears are that sensitive? I just know if something it too trebly, boomy or just plain crap.. . heck if care what it's labeled. Props to you.

Svenska_Papaya and Corvid like this.
  12. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

I do like them....lots of different flavors. I like the V30's and Creambacks that came with some of the stuff I have.

I prefer EV12L for most of the stuff I do though.

Laurence and jeff_lebowski like this.
  13. kafka

kafka Supporting Member

Celestions are kind of a specialty speaker for me. I like them for what they do, but that's not most of the time.

I've been mostly an EVM12L guy for decades, for almost all purposes. When I'm not using one of those, I most often have some kind of an Eminence speaker - even an Eminence copy of a Celestion - although I have some Fanes, JBLs, Altecs, a Weber here and there, some Jensens and whatnot scattered about. But I think that at this point, all of my actual Celestions are out of the cabs and in boxes.

I don't set out to have opinions about these kinds of things. I just end up with a bunch of stuff, and then find that I'm using more of one than another. It's working for me in some room somewhere, and I gravitate towards it again, so I say no to it a couple of times in a row and stop using it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Laurence likes this.
  14. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I used to agree with this assessment, but I believe what's actually causing this nasally, boxy annoyance is that the greenback needs some elbow room to move. Greenbacks shine in larger, open back 1x12 cabs and 2x12 cabinets. Of course, they've always sounded great in 4x12 configurations, but I believe it's the larger airspace that allows these speakers to bloom.

Roe, TP Parter and Laurence like this.
  15. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

aren't most celestion speakers geared towards a british sound ind not an american tone?

ken374, aynirar27, Laurence and 2 others like this.
  16. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Its funny how you bring this up. I was never a fan of Celestions. I always preferred Sheffield's and Eminence speakers. That being said I didnt know a damn thing about Celestions, I didnt understand the hype nor the price tag. I got an opportunity to try out a Mesa cab loaded with V30's and was absolutely floored!!!! So now I,m gasing for a loaded V30 cab 4X12.

joebloggs13 likes this.
  17. Tritone

Tritone Member

The AC15HW1 is pretty big for a 1x12. I've also never liked Greenbacks when I hear them in comparison videos.

18. Viper 900

Viper 900 Member

I’ve always found that in isolation greenbacks can sound fizzy, but in a band context they sit brilliantly. The thing I really like about greenbacks is that they don’t need a huge amount of volume to sound good. I’m a loyal celestion user, eminence have never given me what I need

bman5150us, Tritone and zwiefldraader like this.
  19. HerbieDeez

HerbieDeez Supporting Member

Great topic. I used to love Eminence and hate Celestion. Then I moved to all WGS. Now I'm out of love with all WGS and in love with SOME Celestions (Greenbacks, Creambacks and especially Blackbacks) and detest Eminence. I think it may closely relate to what style amp I'm loving at the time though.

After all my trials, I've found there is only 1 tried and true rule: SCUMBACK and DONE!!! Best. Speaker. Ever. For everything. Hit me up always if anyone has loaded cabs for sale:)

20. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Any chance that the Celestions that sound harsh aren’t broken in? I find new ones meh at best too. Try making a makeshift soundproof box with foam and egg cartons, find a looper pedal and crank up your amp before you go to work. Let it get beaten on for a few days and listen again.