Am I the only one who doesn't like celestion speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Many if not a majortity of classic guitar sounds on songs that most of us grew up listening to were celestions. And alot of those classic artists use new issue celestions to this day. Not all celestions are great, but all great guitar sounds are celestion. Ok not ALL, but all my favorites.

2. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

I prefer Celestions in all my amps but the Fenders. My Fenders have Jupiter, Jensen, WGS and Eminence. The only speakers I've found no use for are Webers. The Brit-style Webers I've used have all had beautiful low end, shoddy high end and distinct lack of mids. Personally, I choose Brit-style specifically for its mids character. No mids = no character. The American-style Webers I've used have all had piercing mids to my ear. Weber is backward-land for me. Someone recently sent me a Harvard Tweed with a Celestion Greenback in it. Meh. I swapped in a WGS G12Q, perfection, my current favorite amp. I threw the Greenback in my Magic Crossroads(a slightly scooped VoxAC-style circuit), perfect, the Crossroads never sounded better!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  3. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

IMO, it always comes down to the specifics like amp type, cab type, style of music being played, context of the guitar (other instruments to compete with or not), and so on. I've heard at least one speaker from every brand that I've liked.

abnerfm likes this.
  4. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Everyone has their own preferences, but saying you don't like "Celestions" (meaning anything the company has produced in the past 70 years) means you don't like the guitar tones of the majority of guitar players. That's a pretty big statement. Celestion is far and away the most widely used speaker in guitar history. They're the yard stick to be measured against. Even Fender is using Celestions now.

abnerfm, C-4, mAx___ and 5 others like this.
  5. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

for my model amps i like the century vintage and the emminence neo speakers.

6. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I got to say I love me some Greenbacks.

Badtone likes this.
  7. HughesP

HughesP Member

I used to feel this way about celestion speakers...

I've come around to them though, in recent years. What I've learned is that their speakers have a fair bit of character, so you really need to match the RIGHT celestion with the RIGHT amp. I've heard some terrible combinations.

I've also found you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to break most celestions in A LOT. I bought a celestion gold for my Princeton and had it not cost so much, I would have taken it out immediately - it was so harsh and terrible sounding. I ended up hooking it up to a signal generator for several hours a day for 2 weeks to loosen it up. It made it a lot better. After another year and a half of gigs, it now sounds incredible, with the right amount of detail, mids, sweet highs, etc. But it took a long time to get there.

Likewise, vintage 30s are both one of my most hated, and most loved speakers. They need to be well broken in, and their mid emphasis works much better in a band mix than by themselves.

I find most eminence speakers much better right out of the box. They do change/open up over time, but most of their speakers have had me quite happy much more immediately. The only speaker from them that really needed break-in time for me was a Wizard. Similar to a celestion, it was initially really stiff, honky mids, harsh high end. After opening up, it's one of the absolute best sounding speakers I've ever played through.

Basically I think they are great speakers if you gig lots because they sit in a band mix really well, and sound awesome after a bunch of hours at gig volume. But they take time to get there and are terrible if you are playing at home, or just simply impatient.

8. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Not true. i like a lot of tones from other guitarists. I just dont like celestion speakers myself. there ar emany guitarists who do use other speakers, and some that do use celestions. Ive just had a bad experience with the ones ive tried for blues and blues rock. they sound harsh, and papery, and sometimes way too middy for my liking. I like warm round and glassy fender sounds. I prefer an american tone myself. There well may be a celestion out there for me but from what Ive tried so far I havent found it

9. Litterick

Litterick Member

If you do not like Celestions, perhaps you should try Fane speakers: British, esteemed, long history, loud and clear.

abnerfm likes this.
  10. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Member

Ever try any of the brit flavored WGS offerings in a fender amp?

11. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

nope. was never a fan of anything celestion made. in 40 years of buying amps, the first thing to go when a new one shows up is the celestion speaker. i always liked webers best i guess. blue dogs, silver bells and thames are great. i really like the boogie fillmore 75 that is in my mesa studio 22+ combo right now. the original 50 watt vintage black shadow just sounded papery and thin to me.

12. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I actually am at a point where I strongly prefer Celestion and Celestion style speakers; Scumback is my favorite brand.

I’ve fallen out of love with many American” type speakers like Jensens and other low power American voiced speakers. I found they fall apart at higher volumes (6 of so on a 35+ watt amp). I do not like speaker failing type sounds and flatulent lows and ear piercing highs.

I now use mostly Celestion and Scumback higher wattage models in most of my amps. However my Victoria Bassman has Eminence 1058 and 1028, because they sounded way better than the Jensen P10R’s that came stock. Also I use higher power Jupiter speakers in my ‘70 Vibrolux and my Double Deluxe has a pair of Jupiter Alnico 12”.

I find Celestions can take a beating and I like the higher levels of efficiency like the Vintage 30, Classic lead 80 and 10” Gold

mAx___ and Badtone like this.
  13. bloozeman1

Im not into the british tones so much as american as Im a blues and blues rock guitarist

Litterick likes this.
  14. bloozeman1

I dont like jensens either. Im finding I prefer Fat Jimmys and the GA 64s. no flubbiness and falling apart as you mentioned

15. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I don't like celestions

I LOVE THEM :love:

16. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I try to match the speaker and amp to get the tone I want, or am chasing. Based on other responses it seems I'm out of touch/date and only like older designs and/or manufacturers (including Celestion). One thing I learned some years ago is that trying new speakers is a lot like an old commercial about eating potato chips...

17. stargazer747

stargazer747 Member

They have NO equal and just like The Highlander...there can be only one!

abnerfm and C-4 like this.
  18. RockBlocker

RockBlocker Member

19. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

they make so many, many types of speakers....I can't fathom how a person could say they don't like the brand. Its not like Celestion has a 'sound' that carries across the line.

Personally, I hate V30's If an amp or enclosure has them, I know I won't like it....but thats not a celestion thing...it's a specific speaker voicing issue. I like GB's and Creambacks just fine.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I don't get how anyone couldn't love a Blue.

mcuguitar, Silver Hand and jnovac1 like this.