Am I the only one who doesn't like celestion speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

I like Celestion and Scumback.
    :band

2. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

I am one who does not. Here’s why: ear fatiguing high end! That speaker in a Vox amp will kill birds in flight and make dogs deaf in a 50 mile radius. I have tried them numerous times, never worked. I’ve heard others use them as well and heard the same ear fatiguing highs when listening to an AC30 or AC15 played through mains or just standing 10 ft in front of the amp.

I discovered the Scumnico speakers and I now can have alnico chime and grit with none of the ear fatiguing treble.

3. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

There are so many and I've heard only some of the common ones.

It takes a fine speaker to exceed the tonal flexibility of a Peavey Scorpion or the engaging classic RockNRoll magic of a Scumback M75.

The G12 35XC is the first Cele Ive found to be as good of an All Rounder as a Scorpion.. (but unfortunately wayy louder 100 vs 94 dB).

Nothing I've tried exceeds the Scumback M75.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

methinks the reason you like fender is the same reason you don’t like celestions.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  5. jnovac1

or, a 2-12 with blues...

Bluesful likes this.
  6. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

I like the Celestion G 12s--but I have liked a lot of the old CTS and Eminence speakers too. The old CTS cheapies had a great bottom end without being flubby

7. jnovac1

interesting. i’ll have to consider this. aren’t you a louis electric user?
    i had a 2 kr-12s and a tremblelux, so i do understand, great amps. the todd sharp joat20 sounds warm rich and super sweet through the 2-12 blues cab. (of course, the wattage is appropriate) i HAVE had a hearing test, and i can’t hear through your ears. i pay attention to what my audiences think, there doesn’t seem to be a gap between what i’m hearing and what they hear. maybe i should try some scums. or maybe one and a blue. fun stuff.

bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  8. fiveightandten

fiveightandten Member

Blues, like most Celestions, need to be well broken in to sound proper. I have a pair of well used Blues that aren't any brighter than the 3 Scumnicos I have. I also have a Blue without much play time on it, and that speaker is bright and brash. It takes a while for them to settle in and loose that bright top end, but they get silly smooth. Some people never break them in. You have to get them working for sure.

jnovac1 likes this.
  9. kebotrans

kebotrans Gold Supporting Member

Yes you are the only one. :)

abnerfm likes this.
  10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I can understand that.

I have Blues and Scumback Scuminco and S75-PVCs. I like them all.

The Cream Alnico is also a fantastic speaker.

jnovac1 likes this.
  11. JPH118

JPH118 Member

I love when someone says they like/dislike ALL or NONE of a certain brand... you do realize Weber, Eminence, and WGS all have models based on Celestions, right??

abnerfm, JK1965 and secretsoundz like this.
  12. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

All of my amp speakers are Celestions. I don't own anything else. I think they're the sound of rock. I love that raw rock sound.

abnerfm and secretsoundz like this.
  13. TwoHandsTenThumbs

TwoHandsTenThumbs Silver Supporting Member

In as much as each amp has a characteristic eq curve, certain speakers tend to support what you like about that sound, or correct things you don’t like as much. I haven’t bonded with many Celestions, but in a 10” Fender Tweed combo, including a brown Princeton which is effectively a Tweed Vibrolux, I’m really fond of a 10” Celestion Gold. Not as keen on most 12” Celestions I’ve tried, for my needs. I didn’t like one, a broken in one at that, in a 5E3 Deluxe.
    If I were a Marshall guy, I would likely have a different opinion.

14. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

Well, to be honest there are a bunch of different sounding Fanes also. My AXA12 are very warm, smooth, and elastic with a rich midrange grind that has a fine but not fizzy grain to it. The Medusa 30 is brighter and tighter, but still has a certain character to the distortion that is reminiscent of the AXA12, but more dynamic and less compressed. The Studio 12L is very similar to my EVM12L's, minus 30 yrs of break-in time. Both are fast and focused sounding, but the vintage EVM's are a little bouncier with a little more bloom. The Studio 12L is a little faster/tighter, but still has some warmth to it. And my Crescendo prototype is like a JBL D120 on roids. It's construction is like the Studio 12L with a bigger magnet and metal dust cap.

Then there are the 150 and 150C, and all the differnent vintage models, Greys, Purples, Hiwatt and Sound City OEM's, etc...

abnerfm likes this.
  15. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I havent used them in decades. But, there are a lot of options, so I dont write them off.

16. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

This is my problem with V30's, but Blues?

Personally the Celestions I've tried and don't care for as much are the T75', V30's (some days/tones I can deal with the Mesa OEM ones), and G12H30 Anniersary.

My favorites by far are the Heritage G12H 55hz and 75hz. Greenbacks, Sidewinders G12H100's, and Blues are all pretty awesome too. T75's need a very loud and midrange heavy amp to sound good IMO.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  17. plexified

plexified Member

wow, a whole collection of nothing worth while to discuss. Nobody here has heard vintage speakers with vintage circuits, just corrupt ideas and concept pushing forward nothing of value.

A quality Celestion in the hands of a quality player, end of the road. Otherwise, your aware of neither.

JPH118 likes this.
  18. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Oh... That's serious lack of imagination. I was 'fighting' to like my blue and my 18w TMB was the only amp it shined, imo.
    Sold it and didn't really look back. I prefer 55Hz M and H style (hey Celestion, make the G12M 55Hz again - Heritage at best).
    I guess I might like a 55Hz blue, because I really enjoy lots of AlNiCos (WGS G12A, Jensen Blackbird, P10Qs...).

19. keefsdad

keefsdad Member

I didn't used to. I found the top end harsh. i think maybe it was the Marshalls they were plugged in to. Now I have one in my Silverface Champ, and my Monoprice 15 watt, both of which sound good to me.

20. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Don't need imagination when a Blue is all I need.