Am I the only one who doesn't like celestion speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

You mean a TMB ain't a vintage circuit and Pulsonic G12H30 55Hz ain't a vintage speaker. Because that's exactly one of my main set-ups.
    BUT you sound like there can't be different opinions, just the truth. And the truth being vintage Celestions are being hands-down the best speakers ever made regardless the style or (vintage) circuit one is using? THAT'S quite a bold statement. I LOVE the sound of vintage Greenbacks of almost any kind, but still tend to disagree. There ARE real world applications in which a more american voice is just more suitable or a single G12M is just too honky, nasally - even vintage ones.

I referred to your absolute statement it could be different to different people.
    For yourself it might be perfect - but it isn't hard to imagine a blue nor being the best fit for different approach.

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That's fair enough mate.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  3. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Is it just me or is this a very strange thread?

Litterick and JPH118 like this.
  4. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

This is my point exactly.

I mean, it's just so obvious that I don't understand the OP need to comment on his own dislike for Celestions. They are designed to sound in a way that he would not enjoy so of course he doesn't like them.

JPH118 and zwiefldraader like this.
  5. musekatcher

musekatcher Supporting Member

In general, I agree with the OP with some exceptions. I'm trialing some G12-50's in a Twin right now for instance. They aren't voiced like a typical Celestion though. They weigh 7 lb lighter than the Eminence's they replaced...each! I'm committed to make them work, lol.

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Everything is strange.

7. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

what model of celestion is the WGS fat jimmy based on? Or the eminince GA 64? those are the 2 I'm currently using in my vintage fenders

8. fescue

fescue Member

My greenback is in a AC15. I do have a Weber British in my AC4 (the stock cheapo Celestion got the boot) and I thought of swapping for a comparison but that’s more work than I wanna do at the moment. But that Greenback just works for me.

9. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

There are some Celestion models I like and some that I do not. It also depends on the amp. For instance, I think Greenbacks sound great in Marshall cabs and Vox amps, but not with Fender amps. So, its all about preference.

I think Eminence speakers are my least favorite. They sound like high powered farts to me.

There are a lot of great alternatives. I personally like WGS a lot, especially for the $$.

The thing I have found about Celestions (and most speakers that clone/inspired by them) is that they have to be played loud before they sound how they are "suppose" to sound. There are exceptions, but the Vintage 30 is one example of this IME.

I'd say my favorite type of speakers are the Celestion G12-65's. I love the Celestions and Weber versions. I also really love the ET65 from WGS. They are less sensitive so, I think they work really well for any volume level and the midrange is in a good spot.

JPH118 likes this.
  10. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

Also, I'm really itching to try out some Scumbacks, especially his Blackback clones #mojo

11. Eugene'sAxe

Eugene'sAxe Member

How you can dislike a brand that produces about 25 totally differently voiced ranges of speakers is beyond me.

JPH118 likes this.
  12. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

how can you dislike tripe when a million other people dont?

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I almost always replace the Celestion speakers, that come in amps. The reason is sound and weight. I often don't like the sound. Plus, I'm a front man and I don't want to sing over a middy speaker. They also tend to weigh more on average, than other speakers. Because I'm usually hauling PA equipment, every pound matters.

14. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Ok, so normally I’m NOT a fan of Vintage 30’s, but I have a really well broken in, made in UK example in a Louis Electric KR12 and it’s the most perfect speaker for that amp. I’ve tried many others and always come back to the Vintage 30 in that amp. Historically I have never liked the Vintage 30’s I’ve heard because of the ear fatigue, usually in the upper mids. My KR12 is a darker voiced amp and it goes perfect with that speaker.

abnerfm, TP Parter and zwiefldraader like this.
  15. teleluvver

teleluvver Member

To me, it’s more of a matter of “right speaker for the job”. I have a 1965 Oxford that cannot be beaten for scooped, BF cleans. But through a Marshall circuit, it sounds like absolute garbage. For that job, a British-voiced speaker like a Greenback is the bomb.

abnerfm, Litterick, JPH118 and 3 others like this.
  16. mAx___

mAx___ Member

I don't like current production Celestions either.
    That said, no speaker will ever top a G12H 55Hz Greenback with Pulsonic 14 cones.

zwiefldraader likes this.
  17. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

These are the best speakers in the world !!!

18. MikeEd

MikeEd Supporting Member

I think a GA 64 is supposed to sound like a Celestion Alnico Blue. I think the 64 represents 1964, and the sound of the Beatles using vox amps with Blue speakers, but i could be wrong.

19. Red House

Red House Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you are wrong.

MHG and bloozeman1 like this.
  20. secretsoundz

secretsoundz Member

I love Greenbacks with Marshall circuits. It's like peanut butter and jelly.

Tommy_G and bluesbreaker59 like this.