Am I the only one who doesn't like celestion speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bloozeman1, Jun 15, 2019.

1. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

the alnico blue to me sounded nasally and harsh and papery. the GA sounds much thicker and fuller and warmer

bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  2. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Now on one hand the Pulsonic cones, that all british brands were using, back in the day obviously are not found in modern Celestions.

Then it seems something happened in the late 80s or early 90s that worked detrimentally to tone of this brand. And with Fane having gone bankrupt, Celestion seems to have reverted to producing bleak copies of their own originals.

Then there is a marked difference in performance between e.g. Eminence, that is all about the magnet, and Celestion, that is all about the cone. So if you prefer one over the other as a matter of taste that's what it is, really.

abnerfm and bluesbreaker59 like this.
  3. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

All of my V30's have been made in the UK Mesa OEM (2x16ohm and 4x8ohm), well broken in, and played with a wide variety of vintage to modern tones pumped through them using a Mesa Tremoverb (both 6L6 and EL34's at different times) and a KMD XV100SD (4x6550 JCM800ish). I can never unhear that cold metallic fatiguing overtone anymore. The Tremo can definitely be defined as a warm and thick sounding amp too.

I replaced the 4 V30's in my Mesa Trad 4x12 with two Fane AXA12 and two G12H 55hz and what a huge improvement. For a while I had two of the V30's paired with two vintage EVM12L's in my other 4x12, but they eventually got the axe.

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Yes, yes you are. :) Just kidding. Celestion or any other brand are not the end all be all. It'a a big world, find your tone!

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

We put G12S-50's in a vintage Bandmaster cab my Brother bought, when they clearanced them out for cheap. They sound great, a little bright and not so much of the typical Celestion high-mid peakiness. They were great speakers for certain things IMO, especially in Fenders.
    Al

6. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Celestion speakers in British voiced amps (Vox Marshall) Weber in American (Fender). Never bonded with the celestion I tried in my Deluxe though!

7. Litterick

Litterick Member

I am also an EVM user (Fender 12F) and I always like to hear about speakers that are not Celestion or Eminence. I posted because I still regret missing an opportunity to buy a vintage Fane. I shall keep your post in mind when I next see one.

8. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Reported. :D I like some Celestions better for clean than overdrive which is usually the opposite from I hear most of the time. If you get a Celestion speaker that's not too mid-forward, it can have a really great vocal quality to the cleans. I actually like the 70/80 which is the one of the cheapest Celestion speakers but really versatile. Eminence makes good Celestion approximations but now they've got so many "British" variants I wouldn't even know where to start. The Governor was a huge sounding speaker but a bit too mid-forward for clean work. But in a 1x12 combo that speaker totally filled the room.

abnerfm likes this.
  9. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

Just an opinion. Not a fact

10. mdubya

mdubya Member

Old Celestion G12M green/grey/black backs are the sound of rock, imho.

I have heard some Weber G12M clones which were probably the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, but old greenbacks are tough to beat.

Modern Celestions? No so much.

11. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

Celestions are awesome in a mix. Sure there are different "flavors" but when it comes down to it, they sound fantastic in a band setting.

Most of us don't play the majority of our time actually in a band though. I've found my preference is to run Eminence speakers at home but their bottom end is a little heavy live.

12. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

On
    One twist here is that some find more american style speakers mire suited for american style amps. They tend to find the midrange clashing. So I'm not too surprised of your findings in this regard.

bluesbreaker59 likes this.
  13. IYWBBYGBG

IYWBBYGBG Member

The only Celestions that I like are the Alnico Blues. I assume I would like the Alnico Golds as well.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Celestion are my favorites (and Scumbacks too). But, we all have different ears. If they don't do it for you, all good.

15. wreckmark

wreckmark Supporting Member

Jeff....you sold me a Blue a year or so ago, and you may have thought is sounded harsh & papery, but I thought it sounded amazing in my Cutthroat Audio Francene. A Marshall style 18 watt amp.

When I was younger I didn’t care for Celestions either. I was a EVM12L guy... and sometimes JBL. Those were the premium speakers of the 70’s & 80’s. However after hanging around Z amps and the forum I found Celestion’s worked great in most of those Vox & Marshall flavored amps.

Now the Blue and Gold are my two favorite Celestion’s....along with various Scumback’s, which are vintage Celestion based. I don’t care for the Cream or Ruby because they are too mellow for my old ears. You may like them though.

If you don’t like ‘em....all good. Stick with American style speakers. :)

16. les_paul

les_paul Member

I'm not a fan of the V30. I also prefer the Eminence CV-75s to the G12T-75 although I'll take the Celestion loaded cab for the right price, gut it, and put in what I want quite frequently.