• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Am I the only one who doesn't like signature gear?

chrisross

Be it guitars, pedals, or amps...if it's got someone's name on it other than the builder, I don't want to buy it. Even if it was my favorite guitarist, I wouldn't buy his pedal.

Kind of a bummer cause occasionally there comes a pedal that seems pretty cool but I don't want to buy it because it's a signature. Most recently the JHS Mike Campbell thing. I love Petty, and Mike's playing and tone is great, but I don't want his or any signature pedal.

Guitars are even worse!

I'm not sure signature amps are much of a thing.

Anyone?

I used to shun signature models but one day I picked up what I thought was a Fender 57 AVRI strat. It played really great and sounded awesome. Then I realized it was an Eric Johnson signature model and I had to admit it was a cool guitar. Didn't buy it but at least opened my mind up. I guess if Pete Townshend isn't above playing an Eric Clapton stratocaster then I shouldn't worry too much about the whole concept.

Broomz

Be it guitars, pedals, or amps...if it's got someone's name on it other than the builder, I don't want to buy it. Even if it was my favorite guitarist, I wouldn't buy his pedal.

Kind of a bummer cause occasionally there comes a pedal that seems pretty cool but I don't want to buy it because it's a signature. Most recently the JHS Mike Campbell thing. I love Petty, and Mike's playing and tone is great, but I don't want his or any signature pedal.

Guitars are even worse!

Anyone?
I don't care about pedals but really dislike it on a guitar. Unlikely to buy, even if it sounds good. And also: "if it sounds good it is good", sure, but as long as there's more than one guitar that "sounds good", I'll take the one without the signature.

Mr2D

I won't buy signature gear either. Much as I love my guitar idols, I don't want to be them - they already exist, I'd rather do my own thing. And if it's by someone I don't like/have no interest in, I'm not picking it up either.

Also, I think it's interesting a lot of artists don't use their own signature gear.

MoonshineMan

Les Paul for the win.
My first thought. Beyond that, I won't pay extra for a name, but I'll pay more for something I feel is better.
And I doubt LP would be slapping his name on some of the guitars that have followed after those early collaborations. But as an innovator, maybe he'd be ok with it.
In either case, I'm glad I don't have the robot tuner crap on mine, though I love the chambering.

dbagchee

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Schecter KM7 and PRS Tremonti Custom. I would've bought them without the signatures though. As long as they aren't overly gaudy and they have the specs I want.

Sometimes the signature models have tweaks to the guitar that otherwise aren't available (without a custom build). The PRS Holcomb comes to mind as it has that longer scale length.

rbrogan

I used to be in that camp, but in the past few years there have been a few guitars that I have lusted over that are signature, the Ernie Ball St. Vincent Signature and the Reverend Jenn Wasner Signature. I would play either of those no hesitation. I mean, 99% of us already play equipment that's made to somebody elses specifications, whether that's the manufacturer or a musician making a spec choice for a piece of gear seems kind of inconsequential.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
I don't really care. If the features, sound, and price are right, it's non-issue for me.

I'd proudly rock a Chet Atkins or Duane Eddy Gretsch or a Les Paul.

However, I think the exact replica guitars get a little weird. I wouldn't play an EVH replica and I think the Jerry Garcia replicas are getting into an area that's bordering on cult-ish.

MattLeFevers

Guitars are even worse!

Anyone?
I have the same knee jerk response of disliking it but it's possible I could work through that if I loved the instrument enough.

The bigger problem for me is that 90% of the artists who have signature gear, I'm not really a fan of or familiar with, and I would feel like a weird poser if someone came up to me at a gig and said "man! love your signature J. Mascis guitar! are you a big Dinosaur Jr. fan?" and I would be like "oh, is that what band he's from? I've never actually heard them, I just liked this guitar."

ChipOnly

Join you in never having wanted sig stuff. Why would I want a guitar modded for someone else's playing idiosyncracies and preferences? Idol worship is the nearest I can figure. Rather mod my guitar for what I want.

Heck, I don't even want brand logos on my gear, really. Almost half of my board is unfinished mystery boxes (mostly clones) and I love it. Tools, not trophies y'all!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom