Am I the only one who has no desire to play acoustic?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jonathan31, Aug 31, 2017.

1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

When I tried to get the cheapest new acoustic with a solid spruce top, I bought a Yamaha.
    But my old 80s Martin is also wonderful, and I have written many songs on it.

nowgibson and Hamer95USA like this.
  2. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

3. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

Acoustic has always been the red headed stepchild around here. Probably a little too honest sounding for much of TGP.

I can't imagine not playing both as a guitarist. The instruments themselves can be works of art and are generally more impressively crafted than almost any electric. I have eleven acoustics and eleven electrics. I play acoustic more often at home, electric with groups.

4. Thepilot

Thepilot Member

I like playing acoustic if and only if i approach it like the different instrument that it is- sits in the mix differently, functions within the band differently, requires different voicings, etc- it's a different tool for a different job.

I do find it takes more effort to get acoustic parts right- might just be the lack of time I've spent with it.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I did a number of years after I quit playing full time where I only played acoustic and was in a bluegrass band for about four years. Sold my electric stuff. Went back to electric after seeing my old pal with McGuinn. It looked like too much fun and I could not resist.

I had three acoustics around, Martin DM, Alvarez ac60, and the Epi js 160 e. Not playing them much save some fill on home recordings.

A friend recently became proprietor of a well established shop which specializes in acoustics. He got in a very nice '99 Martin D2r, essentially a D 28 with laminate rosewood instead of solid. Nice pickup system.

We did a trade/cash for two of mine, sold the other this week.

I am enjoying and thinking it will give me more interest.

But still electric is the thing.

6. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

I can't relate to players who play absolutely no acoustic.

7. stevemc

stevemc Member

5 electrics and 2 accoustic.i play accoustic everyday.standard and dadgad.i had always been told that an accoustic makes you play better.i don't know about that but it does make the electrics feel 'easier'.

bgh and Hamer95USA like this.
  8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Nope. I play em' all. Depends on my mood.

9. gman1951

gman1951 Silver Supporting Member

Had a very nice Gibson acoustic a few years ago, hanging on may wall. In fact, that's about all it did! Didn't make sense to have two-grand hanging on a wall and not being used, so I sold it and now have a very nice $600 Washburn hanging on my wall.

nowgibson likes this.
  10. Brooks

Brooks Member

I am not an acoustic player either, but last year I got one of these for travel / practice on the couch / occasional classical piece at a wedding gig (it's electric), it sounds good and has a full width fingerboard;

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    luv likes this.
  11. TheDropout

TheDropout Member

I cant imagine being a guitar player and not playing acoustic. I love acoustics, although i do own more electrics. I play electric more but the acoustics get used regularly

12. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Me. Never play acoustic. I suck at it and I can't sing.

13. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I started off ONLY wanting to play acoustic. I wanted to and did learn that old Muddy Waters style of play, a bunch of other strumming songs and songs I had always loved. I succeeded at that but then one day I went to a friends house who had an amazing electric guitar collection. One strum of a 57 Tele through a cranked 65 Deluxe Reverb changed that immediately. Except for a few smaller gigs and around the house, I've played acoustic very sparingly ever since.

14. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Two points:
    I learned how to play the guitar on an acoustic, it's a huge part of my life and my playing but that's because I love it.
    No problem if you don't play acoustic and don't want to, play whatever you want, be happy

Second point-
    Why do some people always have to let us know how many acoustic and how many electric guitars they have? so what!!

Hamer95USA likes this.
  15. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

I started with acoustic and, when young, had the strength to get a fluid sound. It took until my mid-20s to afford an electric and I thought I'd never look back. Then I got involved with Guitar Craft and so spent a good deal of time on acoustic. GC completed earlier this year and I swore off the tyranny of the acoustic. I might use it for recording - nothing like doubling a part with acoustic & electric.

16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I rarely play acoustic guitar, ever. I have a great old Regal resonator that's packed away, a nice Guild F-30, and a Hohner steel body resonator, and hardly touch any of them. Would I sell them? No.

17. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I have a travel guitar that is only taken out of its bag on holidays. That's the extend of my steel string acoustic need. Otoh I'd hate to be without a nylon string. But all in all i play my electrics far the vast majority of the time

18. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I used to play a lot of acoustic, had a nice D-28 Martin but only occasionally with a band. I had an Ovation for a while and just sold my nice Taylor last year. I've only rarely been called upon to play acoustic and I play a lot of electric clean with no pedals while someone else does the acoustic. Even when at playing quietly at home I'll play my electric turned down and if playing a song live with a band that needs an acoustic style part I'll put my Tele in the middle switch position, roll back the volume and few people would notice that it's not an acoustic if they weren't looking.

19. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

Pete Townshend once referred to it as a horrid box.

Even though he wrote his best music on it... He was right.

20. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

I love hearing other people play acoustic guitars, but electric guitar is what I enjoy.