Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scottlr, Sep 25, 2006.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

...that uses a Route 66 OD pedal? I hadn't used any sort of OD or distortion device for many years, until I found this unit. I just love the sound of it, and for the $$ it was not a bad deal at all, plus it has a compressor as well.

2. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I have a Jekyl&Hyde and I love the TS side of it. Getting rid of it to pay for other stuff because I now have a Blue Boy Deluxe from MI Audio.

3. scottlr

scottlr Member

The J&H seemed like more than I needed. But I did consider it. The Route 66 does just what I was wanting an OD pedal to do. Man, if there's something better out there, I'd love to hear about it :)

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I had one for awhile and liked it a lot. Probably sold it for a bad reason...... :eek:

jon

5. theraygun

theraygun Member

I had one for a while and liked it. I actually had Keeley mod the OD side which made a vast improvement in the tone. It's a great deal for the OD and comp combo. It was much more functional to me than the J&H.

I'd highly recommend getting the OD side modded, I think you'll see a night and day difference. Besides Keeley, Monte Allums does some great mods.

6. sandman

sandman Member

I've got a red J&H and would like to hear how does the TS side compare to some of TS pedals that people around here like.

Tone gurus share your thoughts, please! :D

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm no tone guru but...

Personally I have the red and the silver. I like the tone of the OD side on the silver one a LOT better. It isn't a huge difference, but it definitely is there, and has that little something extra...have talked with other J & H fans that have the same opnion.

But on the Distortion side, I like the red one better. Still, the J & H, red or white, I think are really nice pedals that get too overlooked too often. Same goes for the H2O.

I had them both (H2O and J & H) as staples on my pedalboard for years, and though currently I am using some different pedals (Zendrive, Blues Devil for OD, Fuzz pedals (sunface and BYOC Fuzz Clone) for distortion...kind of) at the moment, I still use both frequently.

I understand scottlr, that hanging out here, you get the feeling the J & H is kinda looked on as "lowclass" cause not many folks mention them, but they are well made, sound great...they can be slightly difficult to setup to use alone OR together. But each one is pretty good by itself in my opinion, for what that's worth.

8. sandman

sandman Member

yeah, you get that impression.that's why i asked what do more experienced guys think about the way it sounds. large footprint etc. aside.

9. trsU2

trsU2 Member

I'm way late on this post but just came accross it. Funny, I've been wondering the same thing. I've been using the Route 66 for about 5 years now and really dig it. (Amer strat with Seymour Duncan Hot Rail into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and/or Marshall JCM 900). I bought it b/c it seemed like an economical substitute for the TS 808 that everyone had/has been raving about. Supposed to have the same chip. I was curious one day and took it apart...there was the chip! I never really used the compressor though b/c it was noisy, especially when I used the AC cord. It wasnt as loud with a battery.

Now that I have the TCE G System, I use it's compressor all the time and dont have to use the Route 66's. Now it sits in my rack and is used in one of my TCE's loops. Only complaint: thing is a tank! Little more difficult to put on a pedalboard.

10. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I had a newer version up until recently, and liked the comp side better than Keeley or my Barber tonepress. It was noiser for sure, but it was what I was looking for.

The OD was just garden variety TS for me.

11. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

My Route 66 has been off my board for a while, mostly do to the awkward shape. After modding my TS-9 to 808 specs I've come to the realization that I like the Route 66 better. I don't use compression enough to keep a dedicated unit on the board so the 66 offers a nice side benefit.

The guys at VS are top-notch too. I ran into a switch problem with my 3 year old H20 and they're sending me out a new one for nothing.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I had the red version of the J&H for quite a while... after buying some other OD pedals though I found that it sounded pretty lifeless in comparison. Not bad, but I'd say most of the boutiques out there do a better job - including lower priced options like MI Audio and Barber. Like personally, I'd rather spend the extra few bucks and get a Red Snapper or Gainster and a Crunch Box than have the J&H. Or in the case of the Rt 66, a Tone Press and a Snapper or Gainster or LTD etc. Just my 2 cents.

-Ben

13. drolling

drolling Member

This is just CLASSIC! A true Gear Page scenario where you've got to keep both on the board so you can use the silver for rhythm and the red for leads.

Before you jump to the conclusion I'm being sarcastic, let me just remind you I've got two Timmys & a TIM on my main board, and I'm thinking of ordering another Timmy since Paul's modified the circuit!

14. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

I personaly think I like the TS-808 modded TS-9 over the red's OD...

Although I'd like to try the silver pedal now, how much are they running these days?

15. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I bought a Route 66 a couple weeks ago. I like both the OD and the compressor for the way I play. In fact, I liked the Route 66 so much when I got it home that I wondered how I'd like the H2O; I bought that the same day. No regrets. In fact, I've had close to a thousand buck's worth of pedals sitting in the closet since I started using the Visual Sound gear.

The buffer in the Visual Sound pedals is very good. Right up there, I think (although I don't have the opportunity to do a direct comparison) with the buffer in the Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter (but without the RFI problem, AFAICT).

Space is a non-issue. My board is a 19" x 8" piece of plywood with the Route 66 and H2O strapped to it. My needs are modest... :)

The stroke of genius in these pedals, IMO, is putting a pair of related effects in one pedal with the buttons close enough so you can tap both at once. You can turn both effects on or off, or toggle between them, with a single tap.

What else? Switching. All my other pedals are true-bypass. There's always a bit of a glitch as the TB pedals switch; it's just the flight time of the contacts. (This has nothing to do with the popping that sometimes affects TB pedals because of DC offsets.) The switching in the Visual Sound pedals is seamless and noise-free, every time.

And the price... Roughly $300 for the pair?! For four good effects... Nice. :)

I had such good luck with the Route 66 and the H2O that I went back the next day to try out the (silver) Jekyll and Hyde. I didn't like it; not my style of distortion...

16. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I have the 66 and use it once in a while. I did the indyguitarist mods to it and also removed the clipping diodes to make it more open.

I love the compressor on it, colorful, warm compression. That's what kept me from selling it a while ago.

17. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have used the red J&H and the H20 for about 3 years now.
    I honestly have no complaints on either. I love them.
    In fact, I recently had a problem with my H20 and their customer service is so good that they just simply sent me a brand new H20....and mine was way out of warranty.

As far as the RTE. 66....
    I have not owned or tried that one yet, but I can tell you this:
    Jhonny Hiland uses the RTE. 66, and man o man, just listen to that mans tone.
    Take care all,
    Mass