Am I wrong to be so afraid of redundancy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratoben127, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I finally have the cash and it's the perfect time to buy a dream guitar for myself. Everything just lines up. I am making a lot of money with a new gig I have and I'm in the midst of a major sell off of unused gear I've had. I figured I should spend part of my graduation gift plus the money I've made gigging to buy a real lifetime guitar before I go to college this fall.

Currently my main guitar is a Dickey Betts SG that I LOVE. It's never leaving me. I also have an R7 and a P90 Les Paul. The SG is my main guitar but every time I pick up an early 60s SG I fall in love. A later sideways trem or Ebony block SG is my dream guitar and I've played a few so I can attest to the fact that vintage does make a difference to me and the necks in general are a little more to my liking than my Betts. My SG is as close as I've ever felt, but I still would love to grab a '61-'63 and now I can.

However, I'm worried that having two SGs will be too redundant. However, every night I find myself taking time on stage to tune my SG back and forth between open E and standard because I play slide so much and much prefer playing it on my SG. Plus my LP is heavy so it gets picked up for about 3-5 songs per night out of 20-25. So from a working musician standpoint, another SG makes sense to leave on in open E (35-45% of the show). It's really only the TGP-brained "I want so many different guitars" part of me that thinks this is a bad idea. I know the SG is the best guitar for me and I have done everything from full bluegrass gigs with mine to pop/R&B stuff and of course the jam/rock stuff I play with it every night. Also my R7 might not be a "keeper." It's a great LP but I am not totally a Les Paul guy and I like to keep a spot open in my collection to rotate stuff in and out. So maybe I'll trade that for another 335 or something different eventually.

Basically my question is this: do you think having two of basically the same guitar is worth it for a professional touring musician? Forget the price/worth/vintage argument- I know I want one and can get one, but I can't help but feel like I should collect a variety, but again that's coming from seeing huge collections of awesome forumite vintage stashes.

The other option is to grab a reissue Trini Lopez and maybe another reissue SG by the way. I already have two amps that cover everything from Dumble cleans to blackface dirt to tweed/Marshall grind to smooth ODS high gain tones.

2. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

You're asking a community full of gear addicts if you should buy more gear? There are guys here who have like 20 Les Pauls or 15 Telecasters, all with only minor variations between them.

Only you can answer this question for yourself. Buy whatever you like.

Lt Dak, shane88 and Johnny2013 like this.
  3. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

After owning 100s of guitars in the last 25 years of playing (started at 9 yrs old), I've recently decided that I should know what I love by now. I'm always open to experimenting, but there is a real respect for folks I meet who have a handle on their gear!

Sometimes, when you know you know. :D

Keef Wichards likes this.
  4. airportbar

airportbar Member

There's a guy on TGP who bought 7 Baja Telecasters, all in Desert Sand finish.

Just get the old SG.

shane88 and JPIndustrie like this.
  5. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Wait... Are you shitting me?

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

And sell the R7. Someday you will come across that burst that makes you channel Duane Allman like a shaman, and you don't want to hesitate on pulling the trigger like you are now.

Not a keeper? Ditch it.

7. airportbar

airportbar Member

No. Some guys act on GAS in unique ways. Don't feel bad for wanting 2 of the same.

8. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

And...although some guitars have similar feel and tone, they're all so unique. You're never quite getting the "same" one.

9. Yossi

Yossi Member

For my needs I try not to be redundant simply because I like variety. However, You are using the guitar as a tool and having to switch tunings in order to use the guitar that you are most comfortable with while gigging makes getting a second SG a "sound" decision.

10. archtop

archtop Member

If an SG is the thing you love, having a slightly different "backup" is perfectly reasonable, and not redundant.

Johnny2013 likes this.
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

You need a SG Jr, SG with dual P90's, SG with Bigsby, SG Custom 3 pickup, etc. etc.... (requisite enabling)

It really depends on what inspires you. Some people like to have multiple instruments while others like having one special one. There have been great players who used one or the other of these approaches. What do you feel most comfortable with?

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Get an SG with robo-tune and solve you redundancy problem!
    OR a Variax and dispose of the need to carry an acoustic and 12 string and other alternatively tuned guitars.
    There are solutions.:omg

13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I like keeping all you have and adding 335 style guitar. If not, perhaps adding a killer Martin or Strat, which might push your musical boundaries. Once obtained, later back to get that other SG.

14. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Get the SG! You can tell the difference. You want it. If you don't get it you'll wish you had. Nuff' said! :cool:

15. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

My name is bossanova, and I have 5 SGs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

If you have 2 guitars that are the same, they will fight each other like cats. Evil stinky cats.

17. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I always intentionally have two guitars that are the same (or at least close to the same). This way, if one goes down at a gig, I can quickly switch to the backup and keep my tone consistent without having to readjust a bunch of settings in my rig.

18. darkinners

darkinners Member

I think it's redundant at all, just go for the one you really like.

Even same model guitars can sound quite different.

19. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

It's true. And the red one always beats up the poor little sunburst fella...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

you have two eyes
    two ears
    two nostrils
    two arms
    two legs
    two lungs
    two kidneys
    two yarbles

it's ok two be redundant.

Sloop John B, pomfret and muzishun like this.