AM Mini Chorus or ChoralFlange?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slippyknees, Oct 15, 2008.

1. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Sorry to keep the chorus bug alive....

I own a ChoralFlange but have a chance to pick up an AnalogMan Mini Chorus. Can someone compare the two for me - how different/similar are they? Am I fine with my ChoralFlange or am I really missing out on something with the Mini Chorus? The AM seems like it's pretty amazing but I'm really not a huge chorus fan although I do need one around for certain gigs. Would you sell your CF for the MC? I do like the smaller size/simpler design of the MC....

Any advice/help you can offer is appreciated!!!!!!
    :dude

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

Personally - I liked the Mini Chorus. Sounded more organic to my ears. I used to have a video showing these two side by side on youtube - I might re-post it.

3. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The AM Chorus is very "organic" and thick sounding, but it is somewhat of a one-trick pony - the CF is, by far, the most versitile chorus I have owned (although I am not a big fan of the flanger side of the equation - not bad, just not that good...). I too have some gigs that require a chorus, but am not a big chorus fan, so I feel your pain. I ended up with an EBS Red Twister on my board because it does both chorus and flanging and it is in a small box (and, while not as versitile as the CF, I dig its tone). As far as the CF and AM chorus pedals, I would go with the CF if you have the board space for its versitility.

Note - I have had problems with the AM pedal not standing out in a live mix, while the CF always sticks way out there. I generally don't use chorus as a subtle effect - I use it because I need to and it needs to be heard. By myself at home the AM is simply gorgeous sounding, but it does tend to get buried in a live situation in my experience.

4. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

right on, thanks guys ... good thoughts and points.

anybody else want to chime in? i'm thinking of keeping my CF at this point due to the points raised my gitpicker.

thanks again!

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone = more hi-fi, harder to dial in, clearer sounding

Analogman = more earthy, sounds huge with an overdrive, less hi-fi.

The pedal that's better then both of them is the Arion Stereo Chorus.

6. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Havent tried the AM, but the Fulltone, which I really wanted to like, just sounded bad to me. I guess YMMV

7. sfx

sfx Member

It's just a clone of EHX's Small Clone, try one at GC or something. :)

8. radcliff

radcliff Member

9. starfish

starfish Member

AM Mini. Perfect, just perfect.

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I have both and like both. The AM Clone does that thicker, chewy chorus tone and a nice pretty warm fast Leslie. The Choral Flange gets a wider range of tones and does a pretty accurate though not as warm fast Leslie. The Choral Flange can also do a crystal clear shimmer that adds life to your chords without drawing attention to itself (my favorite setting). Not crazy about the flange. It's not "over the top" or "jet engine" type flange, though it is useable.

Both are useable, I'd get both, the AM early in the chain, and the CF at the end. They also sound great together, the AM set to a fast Leslie, and the CF set to a clear shimmer.