AM Mini-chorus Too Thin - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devbro, Sep 30, 2006.

1. devbro

devbro Member

My mini chorus is too thin and brittle sounding for my taste. Is there another that's more chewy fat and lush?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

You're kidding right?

3. basscracker

basscracker Guest

:crazy:NUTS:confused: bought New,from Analogman?

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

It's the only Chorus pedal I've ever liked. I HATED Chorus before I got the AM Mini. I sold my ChoralFlange because of it.

5. Improviser

Improviser Member

+1 I have the AM Mini-chorus w/ mix control and it is perfect!

Previously owned the TC Chorus, Choralflange, original Boss CE-2 and Roland CE-1, MXR Chorus (original)....all gone.

Also, the AM Chorus IMHO does a better Leslie impression than the Arion SCH-1 as well...

I'd suggest you check out your cables, signal-loss, correct impedances of other pedals, etc, etc, as I suspect your problem may lay elsewhere if the AM Chorus is too thin-sounding for you.

6. Lefty

Lefty Member

I would send it to Mike to check it out. The Clone Chorus is the most Cholesteral laden chorus I've ever heard.

7. devbro

devbro Member

No.....not kidding. It sounds brittle and nothing like what I hoped for. Maybe I got a lemmon. I'll give Mike a jingle.

Anyone else experience this problem?

8. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I had a recent one ....not a mini , large size ....I felt it was kind of harsh and flangey ....I went back to the arion and put the AM up for sale ....

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

.....well I remember the first time I tried one a few years ago I also thought the top end was a little too 'flangy' but I had a pretty bright treble rig then too.....

I got another one this summer and I dig the heck out of it.....

heres a couple youtube vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYba_WkLBcY

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffzwv4RjKrM

the thin/fat toggle switch is great to have

its also possible that the mix control on the inside of yours is set too low (if it has one)

and Mike said he has made a few minor tweeks over the years to improve the fidelity and smooth it out a hair.....

so check the born on date and if it has a mix control inside and where its set before dumping it....:AOK

10. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the thorough in"depth" (and speed) ..If noone`s bought it yet from my friend`s store I`ll look into that ..it is a newer one though but I did buy it used ....might have been tweaked .

11. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I think he means the pedal is too thin <---> and doesn't take up enough pedalboard space! :p All kidding aside, I ditched two Clones and a Bi-Clone for a Retro-Sonic because the AM clones were a little too dark in the top end. They are about as smooth and warm as chorus comes. I agree, you might have got a bad one.

12. Stevoreen

Stevoreen Member

Carl Martin Chorus XII. Thick and lush. 2 separate choruses in 1 pedal.

I had the CM and the AM on my board at the same time. The AM sounded great but seemed brighter that the CM. I had a bright amp at the time, so I kept the CM. I've switched amps a few times since then, but still have the CM.

Plus, the CM must have a great buffer in it because just being at the end of my chain makes all of my other effects sound better. I can definitely hear a difference when I remove it.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

There is a internal trimmer inside which may have been moved by the previous owner (if you bought it used). I would open it up and make sure the marks Analogman write on the trimmer line up, the previous owner may have wanted a thinner sounding tone. There is no way this pedal should sound thin and brittle, it's the exact opposite of this. I also sold my Choralflange after buying this pedal, to my ears it is the chorus of choice.

14. devbro

devbro Member

I bought it new. According to the website, the trimmer is used in case you experience distortion. I've never tweaked the trimmer but maybe it's set wrong. The term "harsh" was previously used and that describes what I'm experiencing. I know Mike offers a "deep mod". Anyone know if this a simple DIY cap swap that I could do myself if the trimmer doesn't do it?

15. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I would try adjusting the trimmer first. It will probably have a very narrow range that it works or lets signal through. At the ends of the sweep you will experience a somewhat distorted or quality loss. The deep mod won't make it any "warmer", it just deepens the pitch shifting quality of the chorus (maybe lengthens the delay time?). None of mine had it, but I've heard it before. If you don't like the basic eq of the pedal in standard mode, you won't like deep either. Perhaps take a digital photo of where the trimmer is set, then play around with it to find where it sounds best.
    Good luck,
    Chris

16. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The chorusing is harsh if the trimpot is not set just right. Try that first, see the manual for exact setting procedure, good luck!!