Am Standard Strat vs Am Deluxe Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chrisle, Mar 24, 2008.

1. chrisle

chrisle Member

Pros:
    1. Love the V neck. The one I played at GC played like buttah! Nice medium low action, no fret buzz and sustain for days. I was very impressed with the neck. I bonded immediately with it.
    2. Contoured heal. Didn’t think I would care but it is an improvement.
    3. New toy.
    Cons:
    1. I have a 1999 American Standard Strat which I love. Do I really need another? Do the "Pros" really justify this purchase?
    2. S-1 switching: I honestly didn’t spend enough time with it so I’m on the fence. I like the sound of my Standard so I guess I could rip the guts out of it and put in the Deluxe or just get new pups for the Deluxe.
    3. The pick-up selector was noticeably stiffer. Minor quibble but I like to switch back and forth with a flick of my pinky. Not so easily done with the S-1.
    4. 3 piece body: Probably a non-issue. My Standard has a 2 piece nicely matched body. Any concern with a 3 piece?
    I’m in a quandary. And, when this happens I usually dwell on it to the point where a purchase is inevitable...

What to do...

thanks,
    Chris

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Go for it. Your other Strat needs company

3. chrisle

chrisle Member

Or, maybe I need a Suhr strat clone?

4. johnboggs

johnboggs Member

I have an American Deluxe (sunburst, rosewood board) and the two things I love about it are the contoured heel and the S1 switching. I never liked running my hand into the standard's squared-off heel and the variety of tones I can get out of the S1 wiring is terrific.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I like the S1 too. By running two pickups in series, you can get pretty convincing humbucker tones, something a regular Strat won't do.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

You "bonded immediately with it". Then I guess you know what to do. ;^)
    Best Regards!

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I never cared for the S-1 on my Am. Dlx. Sometimes it sounded good, other times it made the guitar sound unfocused and muddy. Your mileage may vary. I now onw one of the CS models with a treble bleed cap installed and couldn't be happier. I'd go for the Am. Standard in a minute.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Not if it has "sustain for days".

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I bought a pre S1 Amer. Deluxe and it's a great guitar... it just feels solid and sustains till the cows come home :JAM

10. Bantha

Bantha Member

I have both pre S1 and a current Am Deluxe Strat. I liked the S1 so much I have it installed on the pre S-1 now. I really like the sound and feel of both of those guitars. I know when I take one to a gig I can get out of it just about anything I need. Lots of sustain and "feel", especially the mahogany body one.

11. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've had an American Deluxe since 2004. VERY nice guitar. No issues. Sounds great and might be a good compliment to a standard with single coil pickups (rather than noiseless SCNs). Mine is now kept company by a Suhr Classic with vintage single coil pickups.

Agree with others above ... bonding with the neck shape just says "buy buy buy" ... and buy the one you tried ... they don't all come out the same ...