Am. Std. Stratocaster Trem / Sustain Block - String hole depth question / Suggestions welcome

Killshakes

I have circa-2002 Am. Std. Stratocaster with all of the original hardware----for now... I've been planning to tryout the following new hardware:

(1) Saddles - I'm going to try replacing the original block saddles with Highwood saddles, which seem great.

(2) Bridgeplate - There's nothing really wrong with the one I've got, except the saddle intonation screw holes are offset, rather than centered, and the Highwood saddles require centered holes.

(3) Trem / Sustain block - Here's where I need some help. I tried a Callaham steel block in the past, and while it seemed to increase the sustain a bit, it also increased the string tension. The string holes in my original trem block are deeper than the ones in the Callaham--consequently, the Callaham make the overall string length longer, and increased the amount of tension necessary to bring the strings up to pitch. I DEFINITELY noticed a difference in feel with the Callaham. The strings were stiffer and overall the guitar was just that much harder (and less satisfying) to play. So, my question is:

Does any one know of a steel trem / sustain block that will (1) fit an Am. Std. Strat with 2 1/16 string spacing, AND (2) has string holes with the same depth as my original trem / sustain block?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

NOTE: I know trem / sustain blocks--and their effect on the sound of a Strat--are sometimes hotly debated. I don't really care about that so much. I just want to try something new to see if I like it.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
I have circa-2002 Am. Std. Stratocaster with all of the original hardware----for now... I've been planning to tryout the following new hardware:

(1) Saddles - I'm going to try replacing the original block saddles with Highwood saddles, which seem great.

(2) Bridgeplate - There's nothing really wrong with the one I've got, except the saddle intonation screw holes are offset, rather than centered, and the Highwood saddles require centered holes.

(3) Trem / Sustain block - Here's where I need some help. I tried a Callaham steel block in the past, and while it seemed to increase the sustain a bit, it also increased the string tension. The string holes in my original trem block are deeper than the ones in the Callaham--consequently, the Callaham make the overall string length longer, and increased the amount of tension necessary to bring the strings up to pitch. I DEFINITELY noticed a difference in feel with the Callaham. The strings were stiffer and overall the guitar was just that much harder (and less satisfying) to play. So, my question is:

Does any one know of a steel trem / sustain block that will (1) fit an Am. Std. Strat with 2 1/16 string spacing, AND (2) has string holes with the same depth as my original trem / sustain block?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

NOTE: I know trem / sustain blocks--and their effect on the sound of a Strat--are sometimes hotly debated. I don't really care about that so much. I just want to try something new to see if I like it.
You might get more replies in the Guitar forum.

Trending Topics