AM Strat Dlx - tremolo springs and setup opinion

a1briz

Platinum Supporting Member
Doing a setup of my Strat Deluxe.

I don't use the tremolo arm much, just occasionally. I'm thinking I should sit the bridge plate flush against the body right? No need to have it float and increase chances of tuning issues right?

Also, is it possible to get the bridge plate flush against the body with using just 2 springs? Or do I need 3 or 4 springs. I'm no expert at setups and it seems to get the bridge plate flush back, I need to use at least 3 springs and screw the claw way back into the guitar.

Also, I have the 2 bridge screws screwed down as far as they can go. Seems like if I raise the screws, the bridge plate starts to float. Are they fine like this or do I need to raise them a bit?

Told myself its about time I got better at doing this..!

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
IIRC, those sit above the body, unlike the vintage style, so I'm thinking it might not be a good fit for a flush setting ... I'm thinking it will be better to block it within the body.

Any setup experts here?

candid_x

I've been in a learning process as well. I'd always used 4-5 springs and did everything but nail the bridge flush to the body. I don't like other strings going flat when I bend strings, mainly. But I've discovered that my Strats' tone warms significantly and sounds more natural when the back of the bridge floats about 1/8" off the body, and backing off those two retaining screws to allow some free movement. But though it does sound far better this way than when I had the bridge decked flat (big surprise to me!), it does lose that hard-tail kind of stability.

I don't think you'll manage to flatten the bridge to the body with just 2 or 3 springs, even if you crank in the claw, nor do I understand why not just use a full 5, if that's how you want it.

From another set up novice.

candid_x

IIRC, those sit above the body, unlike the vintage style, so I'm thinking it might not be a good fit for a flush setting ... I'm thinking it will be better to block it within the body.

Any setup experts here?
This makes sense to me. I blocked a G&L floating bridge this way and it worked great.

fishman919

Gold Supporting Member
I agree with gulliver, the pivot posts should not be screwed down to the body. While you can adjust the claw screws to make the back of the trem flush to the body, I like it better when the trem is sitting more level like the float position. I think the playability is a little better and it's easier to get a good saddle height. If you don't want the trem to actually float, you can block it or install a Tremel-No (which is what I did).

a1briz

Thanks guys. Let me back off a bit and float it a little and see how that goes, hopefully no major tuning issues.

a1briz

I don't think you'll manage to flatten the bridge to the body with just 2 or 3 springs, even if you crank in the claw, nor do I understand why not just use a full 5, if that's how you want it.

From another set up novice.
Good point. Guess I wanted to keep my cake and eat it too. :)
Soft whammy bar when I do use it, plus the stability of having the plate flush against the body...oh well. Trade-offs..