Am. Vint.62 RI Strat ser.# age

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by speek, Jan 20, 2008.

1. speek

speek Member

Does anyone know how to tell the age of a American Vintage 62 re-issue by the neck plate #? I am looking at one and the seller refused to take it apart. It looks like it has never been taken apart, but who knows. I am hoping that it is a Fullerton RI. the # is Vo4XXXX.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not sure about the numbers, but i believe narrow-spaced 12th-fret dots=old reissue, correctly spaced dots=newer reissue.

3. Colourful

Colourful Member

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Somewhere on there site Fender has a serial number and date resource.

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

The American Vintage models really can't be dated by serial number; Fender just grabs neckplates from a bin and they aren't necessarily in order. The Fender site doesn't really have a good date list for the AVs; they state that typically the early years have "V+4 digits" numbers and later years have "V+5 digits" numbers.

Someone on The Fender Forum has an "unofficial" listing of what serial numbers likely match to what years. However, the only way to accurately date them is to pull the neck off and check the stamps.

That being said, there are some visual cues about whether they are early models or more recent models. As walterw said, the 12th-fret dot spacing was narrow on the early ones and corrected on the 1998 and later models. Also, the 1998 and later model AV '62s have the mint green "fake aged" plastic parts; the 1982-1997 models have plain white "unaged" plastic parts. Also, after about 2000 or so the AV '62s should come with a pinkish-brown tolex case instead of the 50s-style tweed case.