• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amateur/home studio guys, do you buy any plug in subscriptions?

zekmoe

Gold Supporting Member
Because it’s a hobby for me, I don’t. It could be weeks before I get into my studio sometimes, and it’s not always to mix. So I’ll only buy plugins that have a buy once price, as I don’t want to pay monthly for something I may rarely use.
For the non pros, do you buy subscriptions?

theRagman

Platinum Supporting Member
Heck, no. A subscription feels like an invitation to endless dicking around with different plugins rather than making music. Realistically, I could easily get by with my DAW’s stock plugins. Throw the Fabfilter and Soundtoys stuff on top of that, and I have more plug-in capability than I will use in a lifetime.

feet

Silver Supporting Member
not no more. if it's not paying for itself it's not worth it, especially if you aren't using it regularly enough to justify the cost. i loved having a billion things at my fingertips but as other things intervened, i would be away from mixing for weeks or months at a time, which negated the value in having a monthly subscription.

i'm much happier buying exactly what i want when it's cheap or when i need it, and not having to worry about reoccurring charges. it may or may not be cheaper in the long run depending a lots of things, but you get what you want and it is one less thing to worry about. and it's "yours". if you open up old mixes you'll still have the plug ins you used on it so that's pretty nice, too.

prsjcm

No. I have bought a few bundles and downloaded a bunch of freebies. It amounts to way more than I will ever need or use.

Because it’s a hobby for me, I don’t. It could be weeks before I get into my studio sometimes, and it’s not always to mix. So I’ll only buy plugins that have a buy once price, as I don’t want to pay monthly for something I may rarely use.
Usually a hard no on any subsription for software.

HOWEVER, if it is something I need just for one project, I might subscribe and not renew.

balata9999

Silver Supporting Member
Yes I subscribe to east/west sounds composer cloud. Has a ton of virtual instrument plugins and I have an educational discount so its $9 a month. I had a good hard drive to download all the sounds to so I keep them there and just need the subscription to access them & cheaper than buying it for me and I use it all the time.

Stokely

No. I think if I was more regular in my hobby habits it might make more sense...but I like the idea of owning the plugin. Flip side, maybe like owning a gym membership it would compel me to sit down and do more music :)

Hackubus

Absolutely not. I’ve already gave those yahoos enough of my money over the years, I’ll be durned if I’ll let them bleed it out of me on a monthly basis.

As a result, I’m stuck with OS 10.8.5 and Pro Tools 10.3 til this machine dies, and I’ll never be able to buy any of the hot new plug ins like I used to, but this is the hill I’m gonna die on, dad gum it, so be it!

Last edited:

Miroslav L

I'm the same way...I always buy, I don't believe in "renting".
I also bought a LOT of plugs before all the sub options came along, so no point to switch to them since I already own most of that the manufacturers have whose plugs I've bought.
If you buy...and don't use...you still own it a year later. If you rent and don't use, you own nothing.

I guess if you are just starting out, and will be doing a lot of DAW work, and you can get plenty of use out of all the subs...then it might be a worthwhile option...but I just like owning, and if you buy at the right times, you can get stuff pretty cheap.

Subs favor the manufacturers...and once you're hooked, you have a hard time stopping, because you're left with no plugs...so then what happens to all your unfinished projects that depend on them...???

eclecto-acoustic

Serial tree-hugger
No way. I subscribe to as little as I can get away with, or if it's for a service where "trying" is a big part of the experience. Movies, games, etc. But for software tools? Screw that noise.

StreetwalkinCheetah

I subscribe to Adobe because I don't feel like relearning but I am pretty sure any music stuff I will dump if they forced me to sub. I'm also pretty sure I could never buy another plugin and I can probably accomplish anything I could conceive of if I spent an appropriate amount of time with it - incidentally Izotope MPS came with a year Groove 3 tutorials but I haven't spent more than maybe 2 hours watching those, perhaps I should.

OctalSocket

I don’t, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I’m not against it, but there are so many reasonably priced plugins you can purchase, I don’t see the need. I do like to own things, to the degree that you can own software.

Mostly, the subscription prices are too high - they’d all have way more buy in at $5 a month.

Then again, Pro Tools has set the standard for the worst cost-vs-value subscription I can think of.

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member
Only thing I am subscribed monthly to is Adobe Premiere Pro since I think it's fun making collaboration jams to post on my Youtube channel (thank you 2020!) and just keep learning video editing. I still don't think I am using it enough however, let alone using my home office/studio as much as I want to.

I bought EZD one time (on sale!) to use on my edrums. Otherwise I use stock and free plugins in StudioOne.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom