Amazing Budda SDII 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eddie V, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Eddie V

Eddie V Member

Played an outdoor festival yesterday with a Budda SD II 18 and was blown away! I wasn't sure if it could carry or cut thru being outside and on a big stage but it was amazing!
    This is the first time I've had it out on a big outdoor stage with full front and side fill monitors and it was way better than I had imagined it was going to be.
    It cut thru the mix perfect and could be heard even when I moved around the stage playing with the bass and other guitar player who were both loud.
    It was easy to get a great clean tone (Master @10 oclock rhythm @at 11 pulled) that both played clean when picked soft and had some great hair,edge when played hard. I love the clean side of this amp.
    The gain side was as good as it gets (Master @ 10 oclock and Gain @ 9.5-10 with mids pulled) getting a nice clean to edgy AC30/Marshall played easy to a sweet Plexi with amazing gain and singing sustain when hit hard. Easy to get great solo tone and level with the boost side of a Zvex box o Rock.
    The Zvex also sounds great on the clean side of the Budda.
    Can't say enough about this amp, Jeff Bober at Budda and the Budda guy's:BEERJust that I wish I had tried Budda along time ago. Looking forward to adding a new V series to the family.

2. Ricker

Ricker Member

Oh yeah

Played many outdoor festivals with my Budda sd18 and as you say....The amp really kills live.
    For an 18watter absolutely amazing.
    I also run my drive channel with the mid pulled as the it really opens it up on the sd18 which can be a bit dark.

On my sd80 don't realy need to pull.
    I do reccommend getting the Drive channel vol pot mod done.
    It's an amazing mod that adds a pot to the back of the amp to raise the drive channel volume.
    This raising of the drive channel volume really opens up the voicing of the amp and makes it come alive....then with the vol fully maxed on this pot I pull the mid switch which doesn't have such a drastic effect when the Drive vol on this new pot is up.

This really sounds awesome.........and it is getting more playing time than my sd80....which by the way has the same mod...
    and slightly less gain believe it or not....

Ask jeff bout the Vol pot mod...........

Cheers
    Rich

3. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Would you consider the cleans gig level clean ? With 18 watts it's tough I know.

4. Ricker

Ricker Member

Only with Single coils....

R

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I still think Buddas are greatly underated.

I love my TwinMaster even though it is for sale in the emporium.
    Its selling to try something new...

I've played the SD stuff and I really dig'em.
    My buddy has a SD30 and its killer and covers a ton of ground.
    Great punchy cleans with a little chime and sweet break into OD and can get into the TwinMaster range easily.
    The OD is versitle too being able to go vintage Lo gain into modern Hi gain.
    Also, takes pedals very well!

By the way, I do prefer Celestion speakers over the Budda Phat stuff.

6. Eddie V

Eddie V Member

Gig level cleans for me still cut in the mix. I like the 18 watt cleans the Budda gets. There not dirty but there not so clean that they get lost in the mix. For me the perfect blend that alows you to control the attack and response very easily.
    I'll have to check into the Volume Mod. Sounds cool.
    One thing I like is running my pedals thru the effects loop. For me it keeps the true amp tone alive and allows me to mix in the juice I need to sweeten it up.

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree completely. I've had my SD30 (series I head) for proabaly 6-7 years now - it's an amazing amp for sure!