Amazing Clean tones... Bad break up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrphotosales, Feb 7, 2012.

1. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

I have a goodsell g5 and so far it's been the greatest amp I've ever owned. It has a lot of headroom and beautiful cleans. However I am not liking the overdrive tones they are harsh raspy when I strum. There is no definition in the tones. If I use a light touch it sounds great.

My rig is tele>BYOC compressor>Fetto>Morning glory>amp. I have the compressor dimed to get more volume and trying to get the amp to break up. Is the compressor slamming the overdrives too hard?

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Are the overdrive tones from the amp turned up or from the pedals? If its from the pedals, perhaps you have the wrong pedals. If it's the amp's natural overdrive perhaps tubes or speaker change might help. If both of them don't work, then it's not your amp.

3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

What's the amp sound like without pedals in front?

If you like how it sounds without pedals in front, then "there you go."

If you don't like how it sounds without pedals in front, then try swapping in some different tubes. One would guess it's running a single EL84 and two 12AX7's... I'd try different pre's first.

4. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

I would think that's a sign of an overly bright amp with high plate voltage to the power tube.

5. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I've had amps where I don't really care for the OT sounds too. But, of course, you have to tell us what it's like w/o pedals in front. You may know what it sounds like w/o them but if you don't tell us too, then we can't give you a lot of meaningful tips.

Another simple factor to mess with is the specific tubes you're using. Have you tried alternates that you know to be good in other amps? Often the most important tubes involved (in "simpler" amp designs) with respect to overdrive are the initial gain tube in the pre amp (generically referred to as V1), the phase inverter tube and the power tubes. But if your Goodsell has a more complex, e.g., multi-gain stage, design, then other tubes will become important as well.

And some amps are simply not going to sound as good others overdriven, based on their basic designs. This is what I think guitarcapo is getting at in his post. Another simple design element that effects the raspiness/nature of the OD is the grid stop resistors. Too low a value (or no grid stoppers at all) and the OD can sound raspy/ugly in some amp designs.

But the thing is, there are a slew of other factors that might be involved. I'd also try other cabs and speakers. Really hard to say without understanding all the other factors in the equation (primarily amp circuit design, tube quality, speaker cab and speakers, and of course guitar/pickups).

6. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

If I don't have the compressor up my guitar is too low output to make it break up.
    Even with the compressor dimed I can't get full on break up, just edge of break up tones- which sound good.

Maybe the pedals and the amp are distorting and it's too much?

7. Leonc

I couldn't find a lick of info about the G5 model on the goodsell site. What is it?

What are the pre-amp tubes, power tubes, rectifier, wattage, knobs, speakers, etc.?

Have you tried other tubes that you know to be in great working order?

8. mrphotosales

mrphotosales Member

9. Leonc

Well, seeing as how the first guy describes his as "a little screamer", I'm guessing there's something wrong with your rig (either something in the amp is designed differently, or bad tube(s) or bad speaker) and possibly even bad cable. Can you a/b any of these things with other rigs (e.g. switch out the tubes/speaker)?

The idea is that you first want to eliminate all the factors that are easily within your control. If the situation persists, then I'd call Richard Goodsell, who clearly sounds like a real standup guy, and ask him about it. Could be he built that one for someone who wanted it to stay clean...?

10. ugameus

ugameus Member

Call or email Richard Goodsell. His customer service is second to none. He also knows the amp better than anyone else.

11. magnus02

magnus02 Member

yup... contact richard...

he'll talk to you all day about it and do what he can to make you happy